Parking on a Tuesday...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Parking on a Tuesday...

Post  Aneurin on Wed 04 Jan 2017, 13:44

Dear all - as a heads up I received the following email from the University today...

Dear colleague

From 1 January 2017, parking on University-managed car parks will be for permit holders only at all times. This means that there will be no visitor parking on campus, including evenings and weekends. All vehicles using the car parks will need the appropriate permit, applied for via muse, on display at all times.

The changes are being introduced to improve the experience for those who are authorised to park on site, as well as reducing administration costs by allowing people to book their own spaces online. Visitors are encouraged to use our new multi-storey facilities at Durham Road and Solly Street, and all money generated through our own car parks will be ploughed back into the University to allow our subsidised staff parking charges to be kept at a low level.

Visitors and those attending evening/weekend activities can be directed to use Q-Park on Durham Road or Solly Street, with pre-booking facilities available for both sites.

Special promotional evening rates are available at Durham Road and, from January, we will be offering weekend rates of GBP 5 for all day parking Saturday and Sunday. Visitor spaces will be made available for permit holders, with a number of spaces being designated as no parking until after 9am to assist those with childcare commitments.

Visitor parking for minibuses, contractors/engineers will be still be available on site, with permits available to purchase via EFM Helpdesk. However, we are aiming to reduce the numbers of contractors parking on site, encouraging them, where possible, to use the Durham Road or Solly Street car parks.

If departments have prepaid visitor permits in stock that they no longer require, please contact EFM Helpdesk to arrange a refund.

To view the facilities available visit:

www.q-park.co.uk/parking/sheffield/q-park-durham-road
www.q-park.co.uk/parking/sheffield/q-park-solly-street

Best wishes
Estates & Facilities Management

With this coming into force you might expect the University Parking services to be a bit more on the ball regarding 'free' evening parking (at least for the first few months of this year). So - as a warning - be careful when you park at the uni without a pass. I don't think you would get a fine in the first instance (probably a warning) - but just be careful!

Aneurin
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Parking on a Tuesday...

Post  PaulC on Wed 04 Jan 2017, 14:26

Well that sucks... It's already pretty bad for parking round there, sounds like it's going to get even worse. Sad
PaulC
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.iamasexybitch.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg on Wed 04 Jan 2017, 14:27

On the positive side, Aneurin had a reason to start a thread about car parks ;-)

If you don't mind a 5 minute walk, there is usually plenty of on-street space on Mushroom Lane. There are the odd closer spots here and there (e.g. outside the Star & Garter) but I haven't found much other reliable nearby on-street parking.
paulyg
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Wed 04 Jan 2017, 15:46

paulyg wrote:On the positive side, Aneurin had a reason to start a thread about car parks ;-)

If you don't mind a 5 minute walk, there is usually plenty of on-street space on Mushroom Lane. There are the odd closer spots here and there (e.g. outside the Star & Garter) but I haven't found much other reliable nearby on-street parking.

You know I love car parks. My very favourite places... that beautiful flat concrete with those crisp white lines. So enchanting...

And now I can have the one right next to Uni Arms all to myself (as I pay the £400/yr for the pleasure)! So this is a bonus for me!

I do however care about all the other members (no honestly I do - even Jamie) and if it does become a face ache it does need to be raised. As people have said - we can either play in a central location with good transport links and rubbish parking - or outskirts with great parking but limited public transport access. Getting both can be difficult as 10 bitter years of experience has taught the club. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss it... explore options (don't forget the Uni Arms has the hatchet man looming over it anyway) and help each other out with parking advice.

I believe there is on street parking on Hounsfield road... Paul has already mentioned Mushroom Lane. I believe the bus lane on Crookes Valley road is free to park in after a certain time (6.30pm). There is dart square right by the Star and Garter - then just walk through the arts tower car park...
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC on Wed 04 Jan 2017, 15:53

Aneurin wrote:
paulyg wrote:On the positive side, Aneurin had a reason to start a thread about car parks ;-)

You know I love car parks. My very favourite places... that beautiful flat concrete with those crisp white lines. So enchanting...

And now I can have the one right next to Uni Arms all to myself (as I pay the £400/yr for the pleasure)! So this is a bonus for me!

I do however care about all the other members (no honestly I do - even Jamie) and if it does become a face ache it does need to be raised. As people have said - we can either play in a central location with good transport links and rubbish parking - or outskirts with great parking but limited public transport access. Getting both can be difficult as 10 bitter years of experience has taught the club. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss it... explore options (don't forget the Uni Arms has the hatchet man looming over it anyway) and help each other out with parking advice.

I believe there is on street parking on Hounsfield road...  Paul has already mentioned Mushroom Lane. I believe the bus lane on Crookes Valley road is free to park in after a certain time (6.30pm). There is dart square right by the Star and Garter - then just walk through the arts tower car park...  

Can we not find somewhere with valet parking? And a doorman with an umbrella so our games don't get wet?
PaulC
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.iamasexybitch.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Wed 04 Jan 2017, 15:56

PaulC wrote:
Aneurin wrote:

I believe there is on street parking on Hounsfield road...  Paul has already mentioned Mushroom Lane. I believe the bus lane on Crookes Valley road is free to park in after a certain time (6.30pm). There is dart square right by the Star and Garter - then just walk through the arts tower car park...  

Can we not find somewhere with valet parking? And a doorman with an umbrella so our games don't get wet?

Bolsterstone - Castle Inn... You can park right outside the door... and its free...
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b on Wed 04 Jan 2017, 18:03

Car parks?

My 'archi-sense' is tingling. I'm pretty sure this thread is just a convoluted way for Aneurin to blame me for everything that ever happened in the built environment.
karl_b
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Thu 05 Jan 2017, 19:02

Is there free on street parking at the top of Solly street? I can't remember ever paying to park when we were at the Red House; but then, they had those marked parking bay areas just outside the pub. I guess a lot of residential areas in and around town are controlled parking areas now, where you need a permit.

Am a bit tempted to just risk it in the car park next to the Uni arms. Any idea what the fine is likely to be?
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Post  psychomansam on Wed 18 Jan 2017, 15:21

What are people doing about this? I've just risked it outside Arts Tower the last couple of weeks - no problem so far...
psychomansam
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes on Wed 18 Jan 2017, 16:00

I saw someone get a ticket next to information commons. I work 5 mins away so I've just been walking up
Kes
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://www.kesSmith.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Wed 18 Jan 2017, 16:50

I parked on the street directly alongside the Uni Arms. Same place I'd done previously, for about a year, until I got a ticket, 30 quid I think. Was lucky last night, but it's only a matter of time before I get caught again. If I only get caught once a year, it's not too bad (works out to less than a quid a time, cheaper than buying tickets).
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top