Club library - the future?

Go down

Club library - the future?

Post  karl_b on Wed 19 Sep 2018, 10:52

Gang - we need to have a discussion about the future of the club-owned games. Currently, the following games are still missing

Airlines Europe
Hanabi
Love Letter Batman
Merchants and Maruaders
Port Royal
Sushi Go
TTR Europe
Zombie Fluxx

Despite several pleas from Aneurin and I, we've had no look locating them. It's disappointing but we have to assume £100+ of club games have been stolen. To avoid this happening, the larger, more valuable club games have been removed from the Uni Arms and taken home by numerous club members for safe keeping. We need to discuss the future of the library. It is almost useless if its sat doing nothing in people's homes and relies on people requesting games ahead of time and the people that have custody of them being available to attend when requested. It's also not good for new members or those that may not own games if the options are limited on a Tuesday.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how we address this? Do we have a, practicable, suggestion for storing them at the Uni Arms? We have £175.00 in the club kitty we can spend on trying to solve this and could fund-raise again if needed. Personally, I'd rather we be spending that money on refreshing the club library a couple of times a year to keep it interesting for new and old members a like.

Also, because I didn't keep a thorough enough record, could those that have taken ownership of the club games please post which ones they have so that we can update the list.

I have - Game of Thrones, Colloseum and Patchwork.
karl_b
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Club library - the future?

Post  paulyg on Thu 20 Sep 2018, 11:55

I've got Lord of the Rings & Escape from the Aliens
paulyg
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB on Thu 20 Sep 2018, 11:58

I'll check and update tonight - I've got three club games but the only one I recall right now is King of Tokyo.

EDIT: Kinsburg and Smallworld

As for managing the library - our only real options are:

1) Keep doing what we're doing (which I agree is impractical)
2) Stop offering the library (not ideal for the reasons you've already mentioned)
3) Approach Uni Arms and see if there is a lockable space we can store them

I know 3) was mooted back when this first came up but I don't know if anyone actually asked the question.

Last edited by DaveB on Thu 20 Sep 2018, 21:45; edited 1 time in total
DaveB
Starting player token

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes on Thu 20 Sep 2018, 12:43

We’ve spoken to them. They reckon we can get a catch on the seats so they can be lockable.
They up for helping us with whatever we need for it really.
Doesn’t solve the problem if people are just leaving with games after a session though
Kes
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://www.kesSmith.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB on Thu 20 Sep 2018, 12:45

Kes wrote:We’ve spoken to them. They reckon we can get a catch on the seats so they can be lockable.
Doesn’t solve the problem if people are just leaving with games after a session though

That’s true - I was working on the assumption / hope that it wasn’t club members but people happening on the games outside of the club
DaveB
Starting player token

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b on Thu 20 Sep 2018, 13:04

Kes wrote:We’ve spoken to them. They reckon we can get a catch on the seats so they can be lockable.

Excellent, thanks Kes. I think the latches will be a good idea and relatively low cost.

We can fund the latches (any idea on cost?), do we need to do the work or will they do it?
karl_b
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes on Thu 20 Sep 2018, 13:30

Probably easier for us to just do it but if we need support then Danny will provide it. I can sort tools if needed
Kes
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://www.kesSmith.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KendraArg on Thu 20 Sep 2018, 14:46

I haven't noticed but have you put a callout for the lost games in the Facebook group? There may be a whole host of people that could see that who may not have looked on here?
KendraArg
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Thu 20 Sep 2018, 21:39

KendraArg wrote:I haven't noticed but have you put a callout for the lost games in the Facebook group? There may be a whole host of people that could see that who may not have looked on here?

Good idea... I'll get on that...

And Karl - I have Formula D still.
Aneurin
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b on Wed 03 Oct 2018, 18:27

Who takes responsibility for the Facebook page nowadays, Rik? Can you post something on there about the games, please?

How do we progress the storage? Can someone take this up with the pub/Danny?
karl_b
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy on Thu 11 Oct 2018, 11:47

I have CO2.

I think the most important thing is that someone is responsible for the library. There's no point having lockable storage if they don't get put away at the end of an evening. I don't know who does that currently, if anyone?

Have any more games gone missing since we noticed these had gone? I think there's always going to be some losses. People can always walk off with them on an evening if they want to. I think we should just keep the library to stuff that's not too expensive, nothing worth over £20, and accept we'll have to replace it every so often.

The amount of money we've spent on the library it's definitely been worth having. A lot of those games see a lot of play. Settlers seems to get played every week!
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down