Post  SamVS on Mon 03 Dec 2018, 17:43

What playing?
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile http://sam-outlands.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Tues 4th December

Post  Owen_C on Mon 03 Dec 2018, 23:58

I'd love to play some more Spirit Island if I can recruit some more poor souls to indulge my craving for it. Elemental spirits banding together to repel a colonial invasion, what more do you want? Our game last week cut it a bit fine to the 11pm finish, but I think if we started a little sooner we'd be totally fine (we played a whole game of Bloodborne beforehand last week). We could potentially play on a harder difficulty, or people could tinker with some of the more complex spirits, new players would fit in perfectly too. FUN FOR ALL! cheers

Alternatively, I have a first edition copy of Argent: The Consortium that I could bring if anyone wanted to try it. It's an anime themed, worker placement game where players are applicants for the role of chancellor at the wizard university, Argent. The eponymous "consortium" are a collection of twelve arcane fellows that award their votes to the player that fulfils their individual requests best (some like you to collect treasure, others want gold, mana, certain types of magic spells, influence, supporters, etc. etc.). Only two of the consortium are face up at the beginning and the other ten are hidden, though players can peek at some of the face down ones as the game goes on. Essentially, you only know a handful of the scoring categories in play so you have to either do your best to win the ones you know about, spend actions to look at more, or deduce the ones other players know about by looking at what they're working on. Very weird scoring system, but surprisingly effective and interesting all the same.

My only cautions with Argent are that its playtime is really variable (from 2-3.5 hours) and the dizzying array of player actions every turn can be somewhat overwhelming and often leads to AP - this is often made worse by the fact that as players collect special abilities and spells then working out how to play your turn can get really messy when you're trying to factor in all the weird insanity that the other players can do with their abilities. The game's a bit like an Aladdin's cave of wonders in that there's a lot of really cool stuff to collect (treasures, spells, supporters, other goodies), but it's quite tricky to know what's worth picking up, and you only have so many actions each round... But it all looks so cool! Lastly, the other caveat to the game is that the gameplay can be very "take that", so if you're averse to aggression then it's maybe an avoid.

Last edited by Owen_C on Mon 03 Dec 2018, 23:59; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : phrasing)
Owen_C
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew_Wilko on Tue 04 Dec 2018, 03:09

Owen_C wrote: Spirit Island
k

Andrew_Wilko
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS on Tue 04 Dec 2018, 07:49

Owen_C wrote:Alternatively, I have a first edition copy of Argent: The Consortium

Say no more, I've had this one on my mind since... this thread from Aug 2017. I'd love to play next time you bring it.
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile http://sam-outlands.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy on Tue 04 Dec 2018, 09:08

Yep, I never found a copy of Argent so I'm up for that sometime. Spirit Island is also tempting if you're playing that tonight
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Owen_C on Tue 04 Dec 2018, 10:11

Oh no, now y'all making me pick between Argent and Spirit Island! "Why not bring both?" I hear you cry. Sadly my little bag only fits the one as I go skating beforehand and have to fit all my skating stuff in too. I haven't read Argent's rules in a while, so I think I'll say I'll prepare that one for next week and bring Spirit Island this week, unless that causes an uprising.
Owen_C
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Tue 04 Dec 2018, 11:33

Owen_C wrote:Oh no, now y'all making me pick between Argent and Spirit Island! "Why not bring both?" I hear you cry. Sadly my little bag only fits the one as I go skating beforehand and have to fit all my skating stuff in too. I haven't read Argent's rules in a while, so I think I'll say I'll prepare that one for next week and bring Spirit Island this week, unless that causes an uprising.

If there is still space then put me down for Spirit Island - time for nature to kick butt !
Martin
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Owen_C on Tue 04 Dec 2018, 11:49

Martin wrote:If there is still space then put me down for Spirit Island - time for nature to kick butt !

If I interpret Andrew's "k" as a "yes please" then I think we are...

1. Myself
2. Andrew
3. Lizzy
4. Martin

for Spirit Island. I've kickstarter backed the new expansion which lets more people play, but it won't be delivered for another two years so unfortunately we're full up for now. cheers bounce
Owen_C
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes on Tue 04 Dec 2018, 12:35

I’ll go on the reserves list then!
Kes
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://www.kesSmith.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ianm on Tue 04 Dec 2018, 16:06

I will be along this eve. Guessing it's tonight and I am not a month late for this thread.
No plans so up for anything
Ianm
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down