Tuesday 1st July Harrisons 1854

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Tuesday 1st July Harrisons 1854

Post  DaveB on Mon 30 Jun 2014, 10:41

Kes wrote:I got Anuerin's email. Did anyone else get it?

Yep I got that one Smile

As for games, it's been a while since I've played it so I'm planning on bringing Letters from Whitechapel along.

Not sure what other stuff I'll bring yet but shall chuck a couple of other games in the bag

My wife and another friend are hoping to come along tomorrow as well

DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC on Mon 30 Jun 2014, 10:58

I'm hoping to bring Nothing Personal if I can find time to read through the rules tonight. If not, I'll bring something else.
PaulC
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.iamasexybitch.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy on Mon 30 Jun 2014, 11:05

ch1ma3ra wrote:

Yep I got that one Smile

Aneurin hates me.
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB on Mon 30 Jun 2014, 11:14

CocoaCocoabo wrote:
ch1ma3ra wrote:

Yep I got that one Smile

Aneurin hates me.

The only possible explanation Very Happy
DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg on Mon 30 Jun 2014, 14:53

Just found out I need to go to London tomorrow for work. So looks like I won't make it after all (unless we get finished early). Expect more mournful train tweets from me tomorrow evening as I miss out on all the fun...
paulyg
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes on Mon 30 Jun 2014, 14:57

Ah, that's a pity. You'll miss the venue trial
Kes
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://www.kesSmith.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Mon 30 Jun 2014, 14:57

I hate everyone - so don't feel victimised Wink
Aneurin
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b on Tue 01 Jul 2014, 13:22

90% sure I'll be there and I'll have Le Havre, a new 9 piece version of Gesitesblitze and probably TTR: Europe, with the expansions (which I need to read the rules of).
karl_b
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mikew on Tue 01 Jul 2014, 16:22

Hope the new venue goes well tonight - good luck all !
mikew
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Evilevan on Tue 01 Jul 2014, 22:53

I just checked the rules online for Sail to India.... It looks to me that we were playing it correctly!  Very Happy 

Evilevan
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

View user profile http://gibberingmadness-evan.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB on Tue 01 Jul 2014, 23:34

So my thoughts on Harrisons...

I don't think we gained any extra space (if anything I think we were a bit more constrained that we were at the Redhouse) and (for me at least) it's less convenient to get to.

Other than those two points I thought it had a lot to offer over the Redhouse - its a nicer pub in general, the furniture is better and the lighting and noise levels are *much* improved to my mind.

If there was a bit more room I'd be strongly in favour of moving the club there but as it is? I'm not sure...
DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes on Tue 01 Jul 2014, 23:47

Yeah, I'm going to talk to Toby tomorrow. Tom, the other bar man said that they got more money from us than from the quiz. He said it doesn't always happen and has moved days before. Certainly seemed like we might be able to use the whole place in future.
I don't think they really have enough chairs or tables for us at the moment though. Essentially, I am going to ask for them to consider:
Getting some new furniture to fit us
Allowing us full use of the bar instead of the quiz
Sorting us some deals on soft drinks at least

I personally think, if they are ok to approach these 3 areas then it would be a worthwhile move. Otherwise, I don't think we gain enough for it to be worth doing though I do think we still need to look for somewhere in the long term.
Kes
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://www.kesSmith.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Evilevan on Wed 02 Jul 2014, 14:48

Kes wrote:I personally think, if they are ok to approach these 3 areas then it would be a worthwhile move. Otherwise, I don't think we gain enough for it to be worth doing though I do think we still need to look for somewhere in the long term.

I liked the atmosphere in Harrisons. The bar staff were friendly and I thought the drink prices were much more reasonable than at the Red House, and there was a nice selection of drinks too. Space is the issue, it was really only slightly larger than the Red House. We filled the room that was available to us last night. But are we going to find anywhere else central that has a larger function room that we can use for free? If we find a larger free space out of the town centre will less people come?

So atmosphere/drinks/centralness wise I'm happy to change venues.... space wise - not so sure...  Shocked 
Evilevan
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

View user profile http://gibberingmadness-evan.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy on Wed 02 Jul 2014, 15:12

I’m in two minds about it, some things were better, some worse. The beer’s better kept, but there’s still not a lot of choice. The toilets were nicer and it was generally cleaner, but one of the tables we were using was one of the most disgusting attempts at furniture I’ve ever seen. It’s nearer to where we eat dinner, but it’s still a walk to the tram (it’s awkwardly between Uni and West St stops), so not really that much more convenient. The lighting was better in places, but some of the spot lights were out so if you were under that it was stupidly dark. I found it pretty noisy, I was raising my voice a bit, and I hate having to shout. I also missed having the ledge to keep drinks off the tables. Pricing was a bit cheaper, but I don’t tend to drink much so that doesn’t bother me.

The room we were in was smaller than all of the Red House, but if we can have the main bar as well then it would be more space. Not sure how convenient the main bar is for gaming though. We were rather crammed into the one room, it felt a bit constrained, with not much room to walk around tables if we’re playing something big. We were also not near our maximum numbers last night and we ran out of chairs.

If they sorted us out some better furniture, gave us some more space and some deals on drinks, then maybe that would tip it to being preferable to the Red House. I think we should have a think about whether there are any other options though; I’m not convinced it would be a long term move.
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy on Wed 02 Jul 2014, 15:13

evan wrote:I just checked the rules online for Sail to India.... It looks to me that we were playing it correctly!  Very Happy 

Good to know!
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC on Wed 02 Jul 2014, 15:44

In line with the other comments I liked the place, though parting wasn't as good (I didn't use the university car park having fallen for an "oh, you can path in there" ruse when we played at the scholar)
My biggest concern is that we weren't gaining much more room and if we moved we may well find ourselves outgrowing the place in a couple of months. Taking over the whole place may be an answer, but how would they react when we have one of our quiet evenings?
If we did move there, I'd still come, but I'm also open to the idea of looking at other locations. Though I am personally not averse to moving outside of the city centre, I think many people would be.
PaulC
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.iamasexybitch.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Wed 02 Jul 2014, 19:35

I'll start a separate post about this.... But in short I thought it was a lot more noisy - having a quiz and no door is a real downside. I can ask Danny to turn down the music... I can't do the same with a pub quiz. I played on the table closest to the bar. Would a curtain help? I would also be concerned about how busy the place can get when the students are back in town... It was quiet last night... But then the whole of sheffield will be until October! I noticed a bill board on west street advertising Harrison's so they are obviously after increased passing trade.

If the move is just about space then there is no advantage and the point is mute. However  it seems to me this whole thing is about more than space... Hence my separate thread... Which I'll write soon...

Last edited by Aneurin on Wed 02 Jul 2014, 21:43; edited 1 time in total
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Wed 02 Jul 2014, 20:07

Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down