Tuesday 8th November

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tuesday 8th November

Post  Aneurin on Tue 01 Nov 2011, 09:42

I shall be there from 8.30pm. I'll bring Panic Station. A 4-6 player co-op/paranoia card game about people (and droids) exploring a space station only to find it riddled with alien parasites. One player gets infected, becomes the alien host and can then start spreading the disease secretly amoungst the other players. Players win if they can burn down the Alien Hive with the handy flame-trowers they have... if only they had remembered the gas for them. The Alien Host wins if they don't manage it!

A nice plus is that we can shoot each other when the Paranoia of "he's infected get away from me" kicks in!

See you next week
Aneurin
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Tuesday 8th November

Post  mikew on Tue 01 Nov 2011, 15:50

D*mn, I'll have to miss this Tuesday as well as the wife will be away. That's three sessions in a row I've bugged out on. You guys will be getting much better than me with all those games...

Definitely hope to make the next one.

Mike
mikew
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Thu 03 Nov 2011, 15:24

hrm... maybe the solution here would be to play on the 8th and the 15th. Then fornightly from then on in. Would free up the 6th for the Christmas meal without affecting playing time and mean you and Morgan could come down on the 15th November!

Are we still a-sync with another group at the Riverside?
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaggedlilwill on Fri 04 Nov 2011, 10:40

Sounds cool - I think I will be able to come down sometime around 8ish - if that's not too late?

Jaggedlilwill
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Fri 04 Nov 2011, 10:43

Hi Will, Be great to see you. The others start at 7pm but I'll come down once the kids are in bed sometime between 8 and 8.30pm so you will defiently get a game if you come at 8pm! Hopefully I'll bring Ian again too.
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Rilkyn on Mon 07 Nov 2011, 10:04

I will be down this week but can't make the 15th. Happy for the switch over from then on.

I'll bring Ankh Morpork and possibly one of the ones I bought a month or so ago.

Craig

Rilkyn
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stocksy on Mon 07 Nov 2011, 13:56

I'm a maybe at the moment as I've been working 7am to 8pm pretty much every day before I go on holiday on Thursday (New Zealand for three weeks Very Happy ).

Mark

stocksy
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Mon 07 Nov 2011, 14:09

oooo nice... very jealous. I am bringing Ian down around 8-8.30pm, Will is also coming later so come down when you finish Mark and we can get a game started then! You can Brag all about your New Zealand Visit during a game of Braggart!
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaggedlilwill on Tue 08 Nov 2011, 10:35

In a field of sheep...

Jaggedlilwill
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Tue 08 Nov 2011, 10:53

I vanquished
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Wed 09 Nov 2011, 00:00

So the first play through of panic station - it was a bit meh! Seemed an easy game for the infected to win (me being the host). Maybe the humans didn't feel paranoid enough. I lulled them into a false sense of security and then struck. Parasites hardly spawned so that didn't scare them. Ian was totally lost by it all and didn't realise he was infected. Will locked himself in the safety of a computer room.

We did play a few things wrong!

Parasites spawn in the current room if after the d4 there is not a room there for them to spawn in. More parasites would of meant burning more equipment to just stay alive.

The open computer terminal should be in the bottom pile of room cards at startup not the top. Makes those key cards more useful

And on first play we should be reduced to 2 infection cards.

I think the game deserves another try. Probably best with more players as in a 4 player game once I had successfully infected 2 players it was 3 against will and he didn't stand a chance!
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  stocksy on Wed 09 Nov 2011, 09:25

I think another play would definitely be better, especially with more parasites, but I still think there are two problems:

1) you can move into a room with a parasite and you are fairly safe there as the parasite will probably move away from you. (presumably during the parasite phase if it cant move it attacks the people in the room with it?)

2) there is no motivation for staying human, I would suggest that only the initial host wins, but all other later infected don't, but then there is no motivation for the infected to help particularly. I guess there is a difference between being an actual winner and being 'in character' and not wanting to be infected.

stocksy
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Wed 09 Nov 2011, 09:34

stocksy wrote:
1) you can move into a room with a parasite and you are fairly safe there as the parasite will probably move away from you. (presumably during the parasite phase if it cant move it attacks the people in the room with it?)

I could see the station filling up quite quickly with parasites under the proper rules. I think last night more than 60% weren't placed because there wasn't a room in the rolled location. But then more parasites just makes it even harder for the humans! The only way to even things out is to play with a reduced # of infection cards!

And yes if after parasite movement they are in a room with a player they attack all players in the room!

stocksy wrote:
2) there is no motivation for staying human, I would suggest that only the initial host wins, but all other later infected don't, but then there is no motivation for the infected to help particularly. I guess there is a difference between being an actual winner and being 'in character' and not wanting to be infected.

I think thats why in the revised ruling they had the Master and Servant varient. The Host wins, but only infected players that have spread the infection share the victory! I guess this should exclude infecting an already infected player! Otherwise it would be a case of swapping cards.

I'm afraid I disagree with the 'no motivation' for staying human. That is the essence of the game. People should WANT to stay human. Think of it as a moral victory over the infected!

It's definetly a game where you have to sink into the role and not just try and 'win' whatever the cost! A different style of gaming?
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top