Tuesday 16th December - XMAS PARTY TIME (Poll Multiple Choice)

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Which game should we play as part of the Xmas competition? Multiple Choice!

7% 7% 
[ 4 ]
8% 8% 
[ 5 ]
10% 10% 
[ 6 ]
20% 20% 
[ 12 ]
5% 5% 
[ 3 ]
8% 8% 
[ 5 ]
17% 17% 
[ 10 ]
7% 7% 
[ 4 ]
8% 8% 
[ 5 ]
8% 8% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 59

Re: Tuesday 16th December - XMAS PARTY TIME (Poll Multiple Choice)

Post  DaveB on Wed 10 Dec 2014, 14:12

Aneurin wrote:We could have a random draw from a bag for a showdown game...

That's an interesting notion...

That's gone right up my flagpole, that has, Aneurin, I'm saluting that one </Lister>

DaveB
Starting player token

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes on Wed 10 Dec 2014, 15:44

Yeah, seems like the simplest and fairest thing is to play Pitchcar again at the moment.
We'll play King of Tokyo next year
Kes
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://www.kesSmith.com

Back to top Go down

Post  steveygee on Wed 10 Dec 2014, 16:50

Since i wont be there until 730 does someone want to grab my copy of pitchcars off me beforehand? Either someone around the uni campus on sat/sun/mon/tues or someone around carterknowle/ecclesall/nether edge one evening?
steveygee
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Wed 10 Dec 2014, 17:01

I work in the Alfred Denny building and will be there monday/Tuesday - happy to meet...
Aneurin
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b on Wed 10 Dec 2014, 18:03

This is getting out of hand! Democracy doesn't work.

I still think it should be all just one game, for ease. PitchCar worked last year with 2 copies and about 35 people. I think that any more people than that creates a time issue unless we have a third copy. I think we'll ultimately end up deciding on the night but if everyone brings their copies of PitchCar and KoT we can sort it.

Aneurin and I will sort the draw and heats on the night.
karl_b
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS on Wed 10 Dec 2014, 18:28

karl_b wrote:Democracy doesn't work.

Word.
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile http://sam-outlands.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  steveygee on Thu 11 Dec 2014, 10:24

Aneurin wrote:I work in the Alfred Denny building and will be there monday/Tuesday - happy to meet...

Monday lunchtime then? I'm at the IC so I don't really mind where we meet.
steveygee
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Thu 11 Dec 2014, 10:35

Main entrance of the IC? Can we make it 12ish as I'll be coming back from Engineering heading towards Firth Hall for the Carol singing...

Good King...

PM me you mobile number...
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg on Sat 13 Dec 2014, 11:30

Guys! My 6 weeks of hellish work is at an end! I'm on leave for 3 weeks! I want to play all the games!

But, more immediately, it means that I can come to the Christmas party on Tuesday (if I can remember where the Redhouse is and who you all are). Not sure what food to bring, but just had a thought. Do we need paper plates, napkins, plastic forks, etc.? I could probably manage those? If I get any board game related food ideas then I might make something too. Or bring some nuts. I like nuts.
paulyg
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Sat 13 Dec 2014, 12:07

Foo idea Paul!
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS on Sat 13 Dec 2014, 19:42

SU&SD has named Two Rooms and a Boom as their 4th best game ever, which has got me a bit interested. Anyone have it and want to play it this Tuesday?

Their top 3 are Android: Netrunner, Memoir '44 and Cosmic Encounter, in that order.
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Sat 13 Dec 2014, 20:14

Sam wrote:SU&SD has named Two Rooms and a Boom as their 4th best game ever, which has got me a bit interested. Anyone have it and want to play it this Tuesday?

I printed out a copy Sam. I had a look through the rules, and couldn't quite visualise how it'd work, or if it would be fun, or even in the atmospheric realms of 'Avalon fun'. Happy to give it a whirl, if enough others are. Ideally, you need 10,14 or 18 people (2 teams, odd number of people on each team). There are special roles too, like 'shy guy' (one for each team) who are not allowed to show their role card to other players.

So yeah, happy to give it a whirl, but could be a bit of working it out as we go a long.

Sam wrote:Their top 3 are Android: Netrunner, Memoir '44 and Cosmic Encounter, in that order.

What no Avalon?! What do they know!!?

Also, dare I say it, Resistance Kick Started Expansions (Hidden Agenda and Hostile Intent) have happily found their way though my letter box. Woo! First impressions are great. Has different modules. All the Avalon stuff in the old Resistance theme. Lots of other modules too. Hunter module. Inquisitor. Reverser module. Assassin module (avalon). Trapper module. Defector module. Rouge Agent module. Sergeant module...
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS on Sat 13 Dec 2014, 20:31

One Night Ultimate Werewolf was #12 and they kind of explain the absence of The Resistance etc. there.

Pip: Maybe I should offer something more to this discussion. Oh! I had a question. How come we went for this instead of the other versions or one of the Resistance flavours? I'd say I really like the longer format. Occasionally you get duff sessions but the most satisfying experiences I've had with all of the games in this particular ballpark have all been around the 45 minute or one hour mark because of the stories and rivalries and recriminations. The time I refused to save a boyfriend from a werewolf attack on the first night while playing as the witch and spent the rest of the evening being referred to as The Widow Pip springs to mind.

Quinns: Well, we worked out early on that we only needed one variant of Werewolf or The Resistance on this list, and deciding on One Night was easy. Sure, there’ll still be nights where an epic 60 minute game of Avalon or Werewolf fits the bill. Perhaps you’re in the mood for some drama, or have 40 people to please. Those older games still have their place. But the distillation of laughter and chatter and cunning that One Night offers is just astonishing. It's literally the best 10 minutes hacked out of a full hour of Werewolf and served up to you in a box. How did they do that?

I'd probably have picked Avalon but it's a close thing.
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg on Sat 13 Dec 2014, 21:17

Sam wrote:
Their top 3 are Android: Netrunner, Memoir '44 and Cosmic Encounter, in that order.

I've got Cosmic Encounter (never played it) and am very keen to learn it soon... Maybe after Christmas.
paulyg
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes on Sat 13 Dec 2014, 21:42

I've played cosmic loads and have the first expansion for it. Since becoming extremely judgemental about games, I've gone off it but it is a great game. I'll probably sell it
Kes
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  steveygee on Sat 13 Dec 2014, 23:15

Kes wrote:I've played cosmic loads and have the first expansion for it. Since becoming extremely judgemental about games, I've gone off it but it is a great game. I'll probably sell it

And i'll probably buy it.
steveygee
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Sun 14 Dec 2014, 00:09

I remember seeing SU&SD playing Avalon on YouTube. They were doing the mission team proposal vote (with approve or reject tokens) in secret, so you didn't know who voted approve or reject, *argh*. Still, they looked like they had fun.

Think I vaguely remember playing Cosmic Encounter, some time in the distant past. Has it been out a while, like decades? You get to play one of six alien races, and there are planets on the board?
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB on Sun 14 Dec 2014, 13:22

Jamie wrote:I remember seeing SU&SD playing Avalon on YouTube. They were doing the mission team proposal vote (with approve or reject tokens) in secret, so you didn't know who voted approve or reject, *argh*. Still, they looked like they had fun.

In all fairness we all make screwups playing games even after playing them a few times - sometime big mistakes, sometimes little - Tabeltop, for example is frequently full of errors. Sometimes really *big* ones. Forbidden Desert, for example, played host to a major cock-up in the rules.

Sometimes they're genuine mistakes, sometimes intentional omissions for the sake of clarity or brevity and at least on a couple of occasions they appear to have been house rules that have crept into the field of play (blech)

But we're all guilty of making mistakes, of realising you're doing something wrong after a couple or more plays - I generally look to those sort of "Let's Play" videos to give me a flavour of playing the game rather than being canonical in their adherence to the rules (now of course if the videos that specifically show you "*how* to play" rather than "what it's like to play" make a screwup, then I'm a lot less charitable Smile
DaveB
Starting player token

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB on Sun 14 Dec 2014, 13:23

Jamie wrote:Also, dare I say it, Resistance Kick Started Expansions (Hidden Agenda and Hostile Intent) have happily found their way though my letter box. Woo! First impressions are great. Has different modules. All the Avalon stuff in the old Resistance theme. Lots of other modules too. Hunter module. Inquisitor. Reverser module. Assassin module (avalon). Trapper module. Defector module. Rouge Agent module. Sergeant module...

I've also taken deliver of these, along with a raft of expansions to "Flash Point: Fire Rescue" (four of them to be precise)

I'll be looking to try out both games after Christmas
DaveB
Starting player token

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Sun 14 Dec 2014, 15:13

Yep, we all make mistakes for sure! and hopefully error-correct. I hope I didn't sound too critical there, I just wondered if how they were playing it, diminished their experience and so resulted in a joint #12 position in their list..
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  steveygee on Sun 14 Dec 2014, 20:31

Jamie wrote:I just wondered if how they were playing it, diminished their experience and so resulted in a joint #12 position in their list..

As there are currently 74000ish games in the bgg database, i'd say 12th on any 'best of' list is pretty good going!
steveygee
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Mon 15 Dec 2014, 00:10

steveygee wrote:As there are currently 74000ish games in the bgg database, i'd say 12th on any 'best of' list is pretty good going!

Oh yeah, that wouldn't be too bad I guess; but I thought Sam was talking about a list of 25 games, from SD&SU?

1-5 - http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/susds-top-25-games-ever-5-to-1/
11-15 - http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/susds-top-25-games-ever-15-11/

Anyhow, clearly any list that doesn't have Avalon as #1 is wrong!. Wink
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b on Mon 15 Dec 2014, 07:19

I think you're taking this too personally Jamie!!

Really looking forward to tomorrow, haven't decided what food to bring but it'll likely be some savoury Christmas nibbles.
karl_b
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS on Mon 15 Dec 2014, 09:22

I wish Jamie would just tell us what he really thinks about Avalon.

I have to say Netrunner is my favourite game. Then? Perhaps Spartacus, then Avalon, then Roborally, just off the top of my head. Favorite Euro... Castles of Burgundy?

A few game, like Game of Thrones, Cyclades, Cosmic Encounter, Twilight Imperium, Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation, I would like in there somewhere, but I've only played each once so it would seem like a premature judgement.

I'd like to try a bit more X-Wing, too, not because I loved it the first time but because I don't think Kes and Lizzie are complete headcases so I'm sure there is something cool there.

Still, I've only played a fraction of the games I think look awesome. So many games! So little thyme! Looking forward to tomorrow Smile

A mod might want to move this stuff to it's own thread.

Last edited by Sam on Mon 15 Dec 2014, 12:54; edited 1 time in total
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB on Mon 15 Dec 2014, 11:07

Sam wrote:I wish Jamie would just tell us what he really thinks about Avalon.

I have to say Netrunner is my favourite game. Then? Perhaps Spartacus, then Avalon, then Roborally, just off the top of my head. Favorite Euro... Castles of Burgundy?

A few game, like Game of Thrones, Cyclades, Cosmic Encounter, Twilight Imperium, Lord of the Rings Encounter, I would like in there somewhere, but I've only played each once so it would seem like a premature judgement.

I'd like to try a bit more X-Wing, too, not because I loved it the first time but because I don't think Kes and Lizzie are complete headcases so I'm sure there is something cool there.

Still, I've only played a fraction of the games I think look awesome. So many games! So little thyme! Looking forward to tomorrow Smile

A mod might want to move this stuff to it's own thread.

Agreed on the moving Smile

Despite being a fan of Resistance and its variants their lack of inclusion doesn't bother me in the slightest (not counting Werewolf, which I really don't get on with), but there are lots of other really good games that didn't get included that I would have like to have seen - Letters from Whitechapel, for example.

I also find myself in a similar quandry as you, allbeit with you as the subject rather than Kes or Lizzie - I fully understand their love for X-Wing, even if I don't share the depth of their enthusiasm, but I never could get my head round Netrunner (or more accurately why it was so special) - I bought a copy a year ago, played it a dozen or so times but it never clicked for me and ended up selling it on.
DaveB
Starting player token

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes on Mon 15 Dec 2014, 11:11

X-Wing ftw! Best game evar!
Kes
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum