Tuesday 6th January

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Tuesday 6th January

Post  Aneurin on Tue 06 Jan 2015, 10:27

DaveB wrote:I've kinda lost track - seems someone is posting a game then someone else is saying "oh I'll play that, and I'll also bring Y" Then someone one else is saying "I'll play Y and I'm also going to bring Z" and so on. I've given up trying to keep up Smile

So, I'll bring a bag full of Flashpoint, along with Escape From Atlantis and see what happens Smile

Turn up play games... simple

Aneurin
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB on Tue 06 Jan 2015, 10:36

Aneurin wrote:Turn up play games... simple

Genius!
DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike4000 on Tue 06 Jan 2015, 11:47

I'd like to try one of the expansions of flashpoint but will bring a box of games as well.

Mike4000
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Tue 06 Jan 2015, 15:02

Right I think I understand "Doomtown" - just... the language in the rulebook took some getting use to -

"You mine ghost rock to buy stuff, you use the stuff to mine more ghost rock. Don't make such sense less'n you realize the alternative is to mine ghost rock to buy tequila, then wake up in a puddle of your own drool without your pants"

but in short it sounds pretty similar to most other LCG. Lets see how it plays...
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Ellis on Tue 06 Jan 2015, 15:21

Aneurin wrote:mine ghost rock to buy tequila, then wake up in a puddle of your own drool without your pants"

Substitute 'mine ghost rock' with 'spend student loan' and you basically have my undergrad.

Ellis
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC on Tue 06 Jan 2015, 15:23

I'm coming. I love Flashpoint and Puerto Rico, and Doomtown sounds great, but I've committed to playing Escape from Atlantis, so will play that...
PaulC
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.iamasexybitch.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike4000 on Tue 06 Jan 2015, 16:30

Alas it appears two days of work is too much for me. A migraine will be keep
Me home tonight. I had such high hopes for the new year.
Next week then
Michael

Mike4000
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg on Tue 06 Jan 2015, 17:32

Lizzy wrote:Yeah, I dunno what's happening any more! I'm not a fan of either Puerto Rico or Flash Point so, unless Karl wants to try Impulse, I'll probably join Paulyg & Aneurin for Doomtown and Imperial Settlers if I can.
I've built the four recommended starter decks so that shouldn't be a problem. Rather meanly, they only include 2 "play boards" in the box but those aren't actually needed to play (they just have some rules references and stuff on them) so we should be fine with up to 4!
paulyg
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Tue 06 Jan 2015, 17:42

Cake4000 wrote:Alas it appears two days of work is too much for me. A migraine will be keep
Me home tonight. I had such high hopes for the new year.
Next week then
Michael

Hope you feel better soon...
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  aerojonno on Tue 06 Jan 2015, 18:00

Hey, we're thinking of coming down for the first time tonight. Are we OK to drop by? Will there be space for us? Not sure how this works but love the sound of the club.

Thanks
-Carl & Nat

aerojonno
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC on Tue 06 Jan 2015, 18:02

aerojonno wrote:Hey, we're thinking of coming down for the first time tonight. Are we OK to drop by? Will there be space for us? Not sure how this works but love the sound of the club.

Thanks
-Carl & Nat
Of course! We look forward to seeing you.

PaulC
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.iamasexybitch.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS on Wed 07 Jan 2015, 02:39

Ticket to Ride Asia, the teams version, feels somehow more co-operative than the more traditional examples (Pandemic etc.), because you aren't allowed to confer, which takes away the opportunity for the stronger player to take control from the weaker, they can only attempt to understand the other player based on their game actions, and attempt to assist, hoping it will pay dividends. Each player has their private ticket cards as well as the shared ones, so your attention is spit between helping them and helping yourself, and even when your team mate takes an action that makes your own turn harder you have to acknowledge they have their own ambitions, that will ultimately benefit the partnership. It's like a marriage between two sociopaths.

The no conferring rules also gives the opportunity to amusingly interpret every grunt and twitch from members of opposing teams as a complex strategic communication and therefore a rules infraction.

I won Camel Up twice. In a row. 5/5 best game I have ever played.

Forbidden Desert: also good. I liked pushing rows of tiles around in sandstorms, and dropping sand in piles on the tiles, and flipping tiles to see what was buried there, and moving pawns several times per turn, and flipping lots of cards, and putting little plastic propellers and engines onto a little plastic airship. This game is touchy, and fast too. Discovery is the hook — what is under this tile, what equipment will I find — and the line that reels you in is the increasing uncertainty of surviving long enough to escape the island —  sand piles building higher over potentially vital tiles is a great visual reminder of this. This game doesn't need much strategic depth, nor does it have it, but there is enough to think about each turn to keep you awake long enough to enjoy everything else.

Great selection today.
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile http://sam-outlands.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top