Tuesday 17th March

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Tuesday 17th March

Post  paulyg on Mon 16 Mar 2015, 16:44

DaveB wrote:
PaulG wrote:I will be in Frodsham :-(

Frodsham? What on earth is dragging you over there?
A training course. We obviously select only the most glamorous locations...

paulyg
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB on Mon 16 Mar 2015, 16:45

PaulG wrote:
DaveB wrote:
PaulG wrote:I will be in Frodsham :-(

Frodsham? What on earth is dragging you over there?
A training course. We obviously select only the most glamorous locations...

To be fair, in that neck of the woods there are far worse places... Runcorn, Widnes, etc - At least Frodsham is a fairly nice place (well, used to be, anyway - been years since I left!)
DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Evilevan on Mon 16 Mar 2015, 17:22

If there is room for me I'd like to give Castles of Mad King Ludwig a go!! Shocked
Evilevan
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

View user profile http://gibberingmadness-evan.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Bobster on Mon 16 Mar 2015, 20:03

Hi all.

I'll be there Tuesday night. Bringing XCOM if anyone wants to try it. New to it myself but it's quite straight forward.

Bobster
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Mon 16 Mar 2015, 21:45

BeardyTom wrote:Would there be a space in a Kanban game available? I feel the need for some heavy euro action.

I think that makes another full Kanban - myself, Karl, Tom and Alex...
Aneurin
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex on Mon 16 Mar 2015, 21:50

Aneurin wrote:

I think that makes another full Kanban - myself, Karl, Tom and Alex...

And Sandra, you cant forget Sandra!
Alex
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Mon 16 Mar 2015, 21:55

Oh no - maybe I made her angry!
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b on Tue 17 Mar 2015, 08:22

Anyone else for pre games burgers then? Meet at The Harley at 6?
karl_b
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy on Tue 17 Mar 2015, 08:45

I'll be there Karl.
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS on Tue 17 Mar 2015, 16:33

I think I'll try and get down for my burger.
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile http://sam-outlands.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ste on Tue 17 Mar 2015, 18:41

I'm not coming tonight guys. Have fun.
Ste
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b on Wed 18 Mar 2015, 00:26

Kanban is great, I just wish I was better at it!

Two good games of Avalon tonight, the second one was a bit of an epic but the good guys won in the end; Sam played an absolute blinder as Merlin.

I'd be interested in people's thoughts on the balance of the 9 player game, I think it seems slightly skewed towards the bad guys. That seems a little counter intuitive but I think its because they only need one person to go on each of the first three missions and the 6/3 split of hood/bad makes it hard to find them early in the game.

Jamie - what other roles are available? I'm sure this will have been discussed on BGG so I'll take a look at some point.
karl_b
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Wed 18 Mar 2015, 00:56

Yeah, that second game was an epic!

I thought with both 9 player games tonight, it was bit easier for the bad guys to win. Adding in Lady of the Lake, I think benefits good (adds more information in to the mix). There are 2 extra roles on the bad side....

Mordred: Helps the bad guys, as he is hidden to Merlin (though the other spies still see him as a regular spy).

Oberon: Actually helps the good guys, because the other evil players do not see him, and Oberon doesn't see other evil players. This would very much tip the balance in a 9 player game, back to the good side.

Then there are extra roles that came with the KS expansion (Rouge, Reverser, Defector, and more)...
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b on Wed 18 Mar 2015, 08:37

Oberon sounds like the character most likely to help. Does the game give recommend set ups for different numbers?

It may just be consistently poor play from the good team but given that a few of us have thought the same, and are quite experienced players, it does make you question it.
karl_b
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Wed 18 Mar 2015, 08:39

karl_b wrote:Oberon sounds like the character most likely to help. Does the game give recommend set ups for different numbers?

It may just be consistently poor play from the good team but given that a few of us have thought the same, and are quite experienced players, it does make you question it.

But last night was 1 win for the bad guys and one win for the good. Seems fairly balanced to me - admittedly it was harder work for the good guys but man was the effort worth it!
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Wed 18 Mar 2015, 08:41

I guess 2 bad guys and a defector would be kind of cool... presume there is some condition to make him defect?
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b on Wed 18 Mar 2015, 08:44

Yeah, last night was perfectly balanced but I've been in several games when the bad guys have won the first three without much difficulty.

I have been a good guy more often than not of late (honest!) so might just be skewed perspective.
karl_b
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Wed 18 Mar 2015, 14:26

I do think it is harder for good, when you have a bigger player count; there's a lot more to keep track of, remebering how more people voted etc, and many more permutations for who the bad guys might be.

I felt we (good) may have been lucky on that second game, with Joe making a clean pick. I don't think we worked it out logically; which TBH, you can never really do 100%, but you can narrow it down a bit.

Not sure it was too out of balance last night, and 2 is a rather small sample size!

The game doesn't really recommend roles for certain player counts. It just mentions which characters make the game easier for good / evil, so, adding in...

Merlin - helps good.
Percy - helps good.
Morgana - helps good (once Percy has figured out who Melin is, he knows one bad guy too).
Mordred - helps evil.
Oberon - helps good.

Extra roles in the KS expansion could help, maybe a Rouge on the evil team (has his own agenda, and can win solo, so not much of team player), or a Reverser on the good team (can play a reverse mission result card). With the Defectors, you need to add both in, and there is a seperate deck to determine when and if, they switch allegiance.
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Wed 18 Mar 2015, 14:32

Jamie wrote:I do think it is harder for good, when you have a bigger player count; there's a lot more to keep track of, remebering how more people voted etc, and many more permutations for who the bad guys might be.

I felt we (good) may have been lucky on that second game, with Joe making a clean pick. I don't think we worked it out logically; which TBH, you can never really do 100%, but you can narrow it down a bit.

Not sure it was too out of balance last night, and 2 is a rather small sample size!

The game doesn't really recommend roles for certain player counts. It just mentions which characters make the game easier for good / evil, so, adding in...

Merlin - helps good.
Percy - helps good.
Morgana - helps good (once Percy has figured out who Melin is, he knows one bad guy too).
Mordred - helps evil.
Oberon - helps good.

Extra roles in the KS expansion could help, maybe a Rouge on the evil team (has his own agenda, and can win solo, so not much of team player), or a Reverser on the good team (can play a reverse mission result card). With the Defectors, you need to add both in, and there is a seperate deck to determine when and if, they switch allegiance.

I disagree it played perfectly - I know because I had the Percy info... and the Lady of the Lake info in round 3.
Dave or Sam were Merlin/Morgana. After round two I then knew Bobster was a bad guy (thanks lady!)... Neither Sam or Dave were pointing a finger at you or Annie so that put you both in the clear and Joe picked up on all that...

Mission 2 failed and consisted of Joe, myself, dave and Nicole... with 1 fail. With a question over Dave (he was 50:50) Logically that meant either Nicole or Karl were the other spy... that left you, annie, me and Joe all clear and the rest was pure luck picking Sam...

Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Wed 18 Mar 2015, 23:55

Sure, Percy has extra info, and also extra info from LOTL, the trick is then convincing the rest of team good, that you're on their team! Wink

Didn't mission 2 get 2 fails? So you knew 2 out of the 3 (Dave, Joe, Willy Wonker; I mean Nicole) were on team evil? Or was the double fail mission the game before? Could have been the previous game...
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top