Tuesday April 21st

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Tuesday April 21st

Post  Aneurin on Wed 22 Apr 2015, 09:30

In my opinion if a good guy says anything about Merlin - he is on my radar and I will scrutinise the way he is voting - especially if I'm on team evil.

Ok so yes in what you said you protected Merlin (Owen and dave thought it was you) but equally it didn't matter 1 dime... With 2 out of the 6 good guys with questions on their head the spies have an easy job and don't need to find Merlin.

Be interesting to play one game with little or no talking - just base it on the voting.

Aneurin
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mattel on Wed 22 Apr 2015, 11:09

Sam wrote:That's the most heated game of Avalon I've played yet! Aneurin and Karl crucifying Jamie was very surprising — to the point I briefly wondered if this was some pre-planned ploy between two or all of you to out the spies! Karl's logic didn't add up, though I didn't account for the extra info he had as Percy. Nonetheless, it was pretty brutal — and a joy to watch Smile Smile Smile

Being unjustly trusted is maybe the best feeling in the game Smile So I convinced the group to take Dave on the third mission and from the start of my turn as king I knew I wanted two spies to succeed that mission. That sort of thing seemed to be Dave's style so I had no doubt there would be 100% succeeds coming on for mission 3.  Mission four fails and Jamie is back in the game. I was briefly nervous he would swoop in and put us dead to rights. But everyone else went from trusting me to trusting Dave, even though he had also been on the failed mission. Mission 5 fails with two spies on it. Awesome Smile

I know we were rushing somewhat but it's one of the few plays where I felt like I had decent control over situations as a spy. Now I just wish I was good enough to get that feeling as a good guy! I wonder how Matt felt about that game, as Oberon.

It was a more lively game than I'd expected but once I'd started to get my head around the character types - both in game and the players - it made a lot more sense.

There is always a huge lag between those playing a game for the first time and those like Jamie, Dave, Karl, or Aneu who know it backwards.

In the 'practice' deals before we kicked off I'd got loyal servant of Merlin each time and that suited me fine -  so I wasn't too happy to get Oberon on my first game of Avalon - the one character where you are essentially on your own.

That said it probably helped me fly a little under the radar along with me being very new to the game as Dave failed mission 2 and I gave a success card meaning town were chasing the one spy on that team. I think that played out very well for us when Aneu laked me and I became the spy in the failed team - partly clearing Dave which allowed the Sam team for quest 3 to be picked.

Perhaps I have the wrong idea of what went on but I know I enjoyed it.

Not knowing who the other spies were was very interesting at the end of the game when they revealed.

Dave played consistently throughout so I was surprised to see him as spy, very nicely done - watch the quiet ones!

On review Sam's play changed once he had become, as he put it, "unjustly trusted". He was driving the town/good agenda strongly until that point - or at least seeming to and contributing pretty vehemently at times. This changed once he'd got into the position he wanted it seemed to me.

Owen, like Dave, played a pretty consistent game so that was hard to pickup as spy play and he was hugely helped by never going on a quest.

In short - an inexperienced Oberon didn't make a strong spy team but they pulled it off anyway!

I felt Merlin got a poor deal in particular at one point straight out calling me spy and refusing to listen to counter-argument which should have got my senses tingling - but when so much is going on so quickly - it all rather gets lost.

Avalon was game 4 of the evening for me and whilst it was the most voluble I also really enjoyed Braggart first up, which is a fun way to spend 30 mins or so, despite some novelty scoring techniques. It soon became clear that Peter, Valeria, and Claudia all wanted the same foes and so much calling of Liar! ensued as the same cards got swapped around - good games.

Next was a hastily shortened Carcassone with all sorts of random parts thrown into the mix - Peter and Claudia joint winners on that one after some excellent farmer placement from Peter and him owning all the monasteries in the world.

Then a quick game of ONUW - daybreak where I won with Sam by randomly pulling a WW from the centre pile on the table. Maybe I won't look at my card next time.

A very enjoyable first time down to the Redhouse and thanks to all the friendly faces who chatted to me and those who brought the games along for us to play.

Mattel
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Wed 22 Apr 2015, 11:47

Glad you enjoyed yourself Matt. Smile

I thought you did pretty well as a spy, and it shows, that you've played these kind of games before. You had me thinking you were good early on, just from your behaviour and the questions you asked; just goes to show how much I know!

It's a LOT harder (read: next to impossible) for the good guys to track what's going on with 10 players. At lower player counts, like 7, it's a lot easier for good players to get their heads around what's going on, and track individual players' voting patterns, as well as mission results; all of which can inform who you think is a likely spy.

At one point I asked Dave if he was a spy; he straight up said 'yes', turns out, he wasn't lying!

It's an awesome game though, last night was a LOT more hectic and shouty than it normally is.
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Wed 22 Apr 2015, 11:53

Aneurin wrote:Be interesting to play one game with little or no talking - just base it on the voting.

There's online resistance I've played a few times. They have an in-game chat room; but it's generally a lot more stats based, than what you'd get in real life; you can keep referring back to voting patterns and mission results, and who proposed which team...

www.theresistanceonline.com
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Mattel on Wed 22 Apr 2015, 13:33

Jamie wrote:
Aneurin wrote:Be interesting to play one game with little or no talking - just base it on the voting.

There's online resistance I've played a few times. They have an in-game chat room; but it's generally a lot more stats based, than what you'd get in real life; you can keep referring back to voting patterns and mission results, and who proposed which team...

Yeah I wanted a piece of paper and a pencil to write stuff down!

Mattel
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave W on Wed 22 Apr 2015, 16:00

Haha very fun game - one of the most enjoyable I think Smile
Dave W
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeardyTom on Wed 22 Apr 2015, 16:11

Mattel wrote:
Jamie wrote:

I played an interesting game of Avalon with a very clever lady who does quantum physics and she decided to keep extensive notes on team choices, voting patterns and mission results all through the game. That info (in addition, as it turned out, to her little bit of extra info as Percival) enabled her to make a completely logical deduction by mission 5 that either all those three people were the spies or those other three people were the spies.  Deductive logic couldn't take her any further than that and she had to make a judgement call. As it happened she chose wrong and lost us the game but that's the closest I've seen anyone come to solving Avalon with pure logic.
BeardyTom
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB on Wed 22 Apr 2015, 16:13

BeardyTom wrote:
Mattel wrote:
Jamie wrote:

I played an interesting game of Avalon with a very clever lady who does quantum physics and she decided to keep extensive notes on team choices, voting patterns and mission results all through the game. That info (in addition, as it turned out, to her little bit of extra info as Percival) enabled her to make a completely logical deduction by mission 5 that either all those three people were the spies or those other three people were the spies.  Deductive logic couldn't take her any further than that and she had to make a judgement call. As it happened she chose wrong and lost us the game but that's the closest I've seen anyone come to solving Avalon with pure logic.

That happens quite a lot with hidden role games - it's no fun if it's completely solvable so they tend to leave a little ambiguity in...
DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Wed 22 Apr 2015, 16:22

Yeah, I find logical deduction can only take you so far; but it takes you a lot further (in Avalon) at lower player counts.

I'd love to create an app for Resistance, where you can enter all the voting results, mission results, and all other hard data, then have the computer try to work out logically, the probability of each player being spy or resistance. Not sure how accurate it would be, but just as an interesting exercise in data analysis, it's a very interesting project. Maybe it would somewhat spoil the game though, and isn't that the point anyway, being able to manage and make sense of the data, just using our own brain power. Not that I'd object to anyone tracking all the data on paper or tablet or whatever, just the process of analysis and trying to make sense of it, I find a very interesting challenge. That's the kind of thing I'd spend my days doing when I win the lottery. Sad puppy that I am!
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Wed 22 Apr 2015, 17:00

Jamie wrote:Yeah, I find logical deduction can only take you so far; but it takes you a lot further (in Avalon) at lower player counts.

I'd love to create an app for Resistance, where you can enter all the voting results, mission results, and all other hard data, then have the computer try to work out logically, the probability of each player being spy or resistance. Not sure how accurate it would be, but just as an interesting exercise in data analysis, it's a very interesting project. Maybe it would somewhat spoil the game though, and isn't that the point anyway, being able to manage and make sense of the data, just using our own brain power. Not that I'd object to anyone tracking all the data on paper or tablet or whatever, just the process of analysis and trying to make sense of it, I find a very interesting challenge. That's the kind of thing I'd spend my days doing when I win the lottery. Sad puppy that I am!

A computer can't emulate that - I don't trust him feeing - so it would be difficult to make predictions.
Aneurin
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB on Wed 22 Apr 2015, 17:01

Aneurin wrote:
Jamie wrote:Yeah, I find logical deduction can only take you so far; but it takes you a lot further (in Avalon) at lower player counts.

A computer can't emulate that - I don't trust him feeing - so it would be difficult to make predictions.

Not to mention the "playing the man" aspect of the game - much like poker, its much more than just the numbers
DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top