Tuesday 19th May

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Tuesday 19th May

Post  mgleadow on Tue 19 May 2015, 18:13

I was planning on coming along (even packed some games) but I am so brain dead from work I am going to go home and drink beer instead. Maybe next week?

mgleadow
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Posts : 14
Join date : 2014-10-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tuesday 19th May

Post  Jamie on Wed 20 May 2015, 00:22

Couple of good games of Avalon tonight, picking Merlin is hard!!
avatar
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Posts : 1182
Join date : 2014-08-03
Location : Camelot (nr Intake)

View user profile http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Tuesday 19th May

Post  Aneurin on Wed 20 May 2015, 00:28

Really really enjoyed shadows over Camelot - the travel cards in the Merlin expansion are harsh but after 1 play I see how it can be played better by the good guys... Concentrated efforts rather than worrying about Picts, Saxons and a black knight!

2 fun games of cowboy Avalon afterwards... Dave proving once and for all that his 'if I'm a spy I always fail the first mission' is utter codswollop - and that I need a new phone that I can feel vibrate in my pocket.

Jamie played a great game as the Pinkerton man. Karl a perfect game as the Deputy (I really don't like being on the opposite team to him at the moment). I almost went for one of them but Nicole picking a perfect team without any information was just too juicy a carrot to resist.

2nd game I was the deputy. Matt played the Pinkerton man to perfection and we confused the Kid good and proper!

Both games went to the good guys... perhaps we need the Saloon Girl (unknown to the Pinkerton man) instead of the vanilla outlaw.

Also we could re-introduce the shoot-out aspect to the 'most wanted' mechanic!



avatar
Aneurin
Starting player token

Posts : 2644
Join date : 2011-07-20
Age : 37
Location : Deepcar

View user profile http://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Tuesday 19th May

Post  Mattel on Wed 20 May 2015, 08:38

Aneurin wrote:Really really enjoyed shadows over Camelot - the travel cards in the Merlin expansion are harsh but after 1 play I see how it can be played better by the good guys... Concentrated efforts rather than worrying about Picts, Saxons and a black knight!



Echoing this - I'm generally a fan of difficult (not necessarily complicated) games and Shadows with the travel expansion was very tough.

I know it was discussed to make the travel pack easier and perhaps play with no traitor but I feel those simply add to the game and I would want to play the exact same setup with more prior knowledge before deciding to make the game easier......


Very interesting to play Cowvalon as Merlin and watching the spies play knowing who they are. It certainly reinforced what I'd suspected before :- it's  impossible to read people - even when you KNOW they are bad.

Also there was some confusion regarding the deputy/sheriff reveal so I wonder if it's worthwhile making a slightly different deputy card - noticeably smaller sheriff star or something as the only differentiator is the wording (I think). I'll bring cowboy hats next week.

Mattel
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Posts : 104
Join date : 2015-03-16
Location : Crookes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tuesday 19th May

Post  Jamie on Wed 20 May 2015, 09:14

I played the second game poorly. On mission 2, which I think Matt, you put me on the team; I was taking ages deciding which mission card to play. The fact that I was taking so long, was a bit of a give away (thatv I was a spy); anyway, I was considering playing a success card at that point...

Had I played a success, it would have been a successful mission, and likely got chosen again, where I would play a fail, and then suggest there are 2 spies in the mix, and that they failed to communicated who should play fail on mission 2...

I so totally wanted to do that, just for fun and to see what happens. At that point though, I thought it better for team evil, for me not to be so experimental.

With the benefit of hindsight, Aneurin was paying a lot of attention to both myself and Matt, which should have registered in my brain as Andurin being Percy, and Matt Merlin. I had am inkling Matt could have been Merlin, but was just an faint gut feeling. Often times you can trust your gut, qnd get it wrong.

I also gave up a bit too early (went in to figure out who Merlin is mode), i probably should have been more challenging of Anuerin, trying to paint him as a bad guy.

Anyhows, all good lessons learned!! Smile
avatar
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Posts : 1182
Join date : 2014-08-03
Location : Camelot (nr Intake)

View user profile http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Tuesday 19th May

Post  Aneurin on Wed 20 May 2015, 09:39

Mattel wrote:
Also there was some confusion regarding the deputy/sheriff reveal so I wonder if it's worthwhile making a slightly different deputy card - noticeably smaller sheriff star or something as the only differentiator is the wording (I think). I'll bring cowboy hats next week.

I was actually enjoying playing off that! Thought it added a lot of ups and downs at the end... have I selected right - haven't I selected right

avatar
Aneurin
Starting player token

Posts : 2644
Join date : 2011-07-20
Age : 37
Location : Deepcar

View user profile http://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Tuesday 19th May

Post  Mattel on Wed 20 May 2015, 10:35

Aneurin wrote:
Mattel wrote:
Also there was some confusion regarding the deputy/sheriff reveal so I wonder if it's worthwhile making a slightly different deputy card - noticeably smaller sheriff star or something as the only differentiator is the wording (I think). I'll bring cowboy hats next week.

I was actually enjoying playing off that! Thought it added a lot of ups and downs at the end... have I selected right - haven't I selected right


*chuckle*

I can see what you're saying however I feel the card should be a clear indicator of the role. The spies had chosen by then so when they thought you were the pinkerton man it wasn't by your play or anything else when you revealed the card it was the similarity between the pinkerton (I said sheriff before, sorry) and the deputy role cards. If you are referring to how you played then apologies for the misunderstanding.

Now I think of it - perhaps the role cards are not actually similar - does the pinkerton card have a sheriff star on it - I can't clearly remember... I may be making a point about absolutely nothing.

To be clear none of this takes away from the great deal of fun I have playing Cowvalon. It's been stated before - I really like the wanted mechanic - it's another information source to go with the usual Avalon ones of voting for teams, passing/failing missions, and general play. Used well it can help both outlaws or townsfolk and it stops me from hitting a dead stop with the same arguments going round and round regarding voting and who was on what mission.



Mattel
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Posts : 104
Join date : 2015-03-16
Location : Crookes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tuesday 19th May

Post  Aneurin on Wed 20 May 2015, 11:21

These were the images I used

http://treasuregurus.com/ebay/BD/BD-PINKERTON.jpg

http://www.oldwestbadges.com/media/j_deputy_sheriff_badge.jpg
avatar
Aneurin
Starting player token

Posts : 2644
Join date : 2011-07-20
Age : 37
Location : Deepcar

View user profile http://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Tuesday 19th May

Post  Mattel on Wed 20 May 2015, 11:23

Aneurin wrote:These were the images I used

http://treasuregurus.com/ebay/BD/BD-PINKERTON.jpg

http://www.oldwestbadges.com/media/j_deputy_sheriff_badge.jpg

Then I'm talking rubbish! :-)

Mattel
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Posts : 104
Join date : 2015-03-16
Location : Crookes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tuesday 19th May

Post  Aneurin on Wed 20 May 2015, 11:23

Mattel wrote: I can see what you're saying however I feel the card should be a clear indicator of the role. The spies had chosen by then so when they thought you were the pinkerton man it wasn't by your play or anything else when you revealed the card it was the similarity between the pinkerton (I said sheriff before, sorry) and the deputy role cards. If you are referring to how you played then apologies for the misunderstanding.

As I revealed my role card I said "you b***ards" - to add to the confusion so it was probably my fault more than the role card.
avatar
Aneurin
Starting player token

Posts : 2644
Join date : 2011-07-20
Age : 37
Location : Deepcar

View user profile http://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Tuesday 19th May

Post  Jamie on Wed 20 May 2015, 13:41

Matt, how did you find it being Merlin at the end of the game, during the assassination phase?

I always love that bit; you never quite know if you say or do anything, how that will impact on the Assassins decision...
avatar
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Posts : 1182
Join date : 2014-08-03
Location : Camelot (nr Intake)

View user profile http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Tuesday 19th May

Post  Mattel on Wed 20 May 2015, 19:47

Aneurin wrote:
Mattel wrote: I can see what you're saying however I feel the card should be a clear indicator of the role. The spies had chosen by then so when they thought you were the pinkerton man it wasn't by your play or anything else when you revealed the card it was the similarity between the pinkerton (I said sheriff before, sorry) and the deputy role cards. If you are referring to how you played then apologies for the misunderstanding.

As I revealed my role card I said "you b***ards" - to add to the confusion so it was probably my fault more than the role card.

*innocent*

I guess we were both playing it up a bit....

Mattel
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Posts : 104
Join date : 2015-03-16
Location : Crookes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tuesday 19th May

Post  Mattel on Wed 20 May 2015, 19:50

Jamie wrote:Matt, how did you find it being Merlin at the end of the game, during the assassination phase?

I always love that bit; you never quite know if you say or do anything, how that will impact on the Assassins decision...

It was really interesting, I noted you'd obviously got some suspicions about me being Merlin but tried to just sit there and grin at everyone.

The hardest part I found about being Merlin was that I tended to have conversations with the spies. I had to work hard to try and talk to Sam and Steve as I was conscious I kept coming back to you and Dave.

All fun.

Mattel
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Posts : 104
Join date : 2015-03-16
Location : Crookes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tuesday 19th May

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum