Sunday Session 7th June @ The Red Deer

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Sunday Session 7th June @ The Red Deer

Post  paulyg on Mon 08 Jun 2015, 09:02

Ste - Blinky wrote:Sorry I had to rush off suddenly yesterday, had fun with Boss Monster and Steam Donkey though.

Steam Donkey surprised me, I wasn't sure about it at first but it grew on me by the end. Boss Monster was great too, might have to buy it.
Yeah, Steam Donkey has quite a bit of depth I think! I suspect there are some real subtleties about how to play the different resorts, depending on how many slots you have to fill and so on. And I liked the passenger 'storage and pickup' mechanic which you had to balance. Would be interesting to play with the little expansion some time too.

paulyg
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB on Mon 08 Jun 2015, 09:12

PaulG wrote:
Sam wrote:Formula D did not click with me. This is a great example of having an idea that sounds clever on paper — a racing game where different sized dice represent different gears — but made for a poor game in practice — a game entirely about the luck of dice rolls and with the only decision being the mostly obvious choice of what gear to be in to decrease the chances of doing damage to your car.

Alex says there are more rules to add, drivers with unique stats, tracks with special obstacles and so on. Though I don't see how it would improve the depth of strategic choices, I'll fall for play anything twice.
Out of interest, Sam, how many people were you playing with and how many cars each? I've only played it once and there were quite a few of us with 2 cars each - I think that probably added a bit more skill in that there were more other cars to avoid, more debris on the track, you had to remember the rules about when you can move between lanes, etc. I could imagine it being much more boring and down to the luck of the dice at a low player count. I'd certainly be up for giving it another try if/when you do that...

I've so far only played the basic version with 4 players/cars and I've really enjoyed both games I've played. I can imagine a ten player game being *extremely* cramped.... The rulebook is appalling though...
DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  steveygee on Mon 08 Jun 2015, 12:09

I really like cockroach poker, nice simple and often funny.

I think you have to be really strict in Formula D with the rules about not counting out spaces on your turn and no tacksie backsies. You also need to make sure that everyone shifts and rolls straight away on their turn. That way you get the race feel and people make mistakes, which is always fun. But I think I agree with Sam. Whenever I play it, the thought of playing it is more exciting than the game ever turns out to be.

Diplomacy was fantastic. The stuff on the board was fine, nice and simple enough to not get in the way but deep enough to produce real decision points. But it was the diplomacy in between turns that really brought the whole thing to life for me. The fact that to get anywhere you have to trust someone, whilst all the while keeping in mind that it's probably only a matter of time before they turn on you is fantastic. Jamie didn't trust anyone (with, to be fair, good reason) and was repeatedly distrusted in return. Ben was so honest and trustworthy that he left France wide open for a devastating double-cross from me as England and Matt as Germany. We were in a strong position when we ended, but the array of new Supply Centres that the fall of France left open, my isolated position on the board and the pressure Matt was under in Eastern Europe would have made continued alliance hard to maintain over the next couple of years, I think.

All in all I'd definitely play this again, although I can't imagine ever playing a game to a final winner.
steveygee
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Mon 08 Jun 2015, 12:46

I was stabbed 4 ways, on the same turn, talk about brutal!!

Firstly, my 2 trusted allies (Turkey and Austria-Hungary) in the south ganged up on me (Russia) and forced me out of Rumania. That was a blow, as it was my intent to have a lasting alliance with at least Turkey; but no, I knew I couldn't trust either.

Then, England sailed in to Saint Petersburg, after we had an understanding that we would join forces against Germany.

Then, Germany marched in to Warsaw. Grim!!

I felt pretty much like all was lost at that point, there was no-one I could trust or ally with; and my response was to just be aggressive against my most trusted original ally (Turkey and Austria-Hungary), as it (perhaps) sets a good precedent for future games (screw me over, and I may go down, but I'll do my utmost to give you a bloody nose). I think that's a useful reputation to cultivate; but of course, everything has it's pro's and con's...

With hindsight; I should have probably discussed the situation more with Turkey and Austria-Hungary. Pointing out that if Germany continues their advance in to Russia, all 3 of us would ultimately be done for. I think at that point, strategically, we (the 3 of us) had no option but to trust each other, and orchestrate our moves together. Well, that would have been the only sensible move from me (outside of the meta-game move, of the bloody nose), I imagine it would have been in Turkey and Austria-Hungary's best interests also, but you never know...

I did think, I was stupendously hopeless at the diplomacy phases though. It kinda felt like Avalon, where everyone is a spy, but nobody is on your team. You can see how the game demands a high degree of dishonesty; which I surprisingly (given how much I love Avalon) found really hard!
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Mon 08 Jun 2015, 12:59

This is exactly why I love Twilight Imperium - For this type of player interaction...
Aneurin
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Mon 08 Jun 2015, 13:04

Aneurin wrote:This is exactly why I love Twilight Imperium - For this type of player interaction...

Will set up a thread for TI as some point, unless there already is one?; could be handy just to collate a load of learning materials for the game (links to youtube videos, tutorials etc), as myself and I think a few others, will be newbies to the game. Looking forward to playing it.

There's no formal diplomacy period though in TI? Or is there?
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Mon 08 Jun 2015, 13:10

There is a massive element of table politics in TI. In every move you make - will it be too close to another players system. When you build bigger ships than your neighbour will they reinforce against you or trust you. Then there are the actual politics cards which have to be voted on and can change the rules of the game completely. If no-one around the table likes you - that assassin card may just target you.
Aneurin
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RikTheChief on Mon 08 Jun 2015, 13:14

Ste - Blinky wrote:Sorry I had to rush off suddenly yesterday, had fun with Boss Monster and Steam Donkey though.

Steam Donkey surprised me, I wasn't sure about it at first but it grew on me by the end. Boss Monster was great too, might have to buy it.

I liked Steam Donkey as well, I'd like to play it again and see if I can get a better score.

Boss Monster was OK, I'd like to try it with the expansion next time, to see if that adds anything.
RikTheChief
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

View user profile http://www.deepfall.moonfruit.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg on Mon 08 Jun 2015, 16:57

Jamie wrote:
Aneurin wrote:This is exactly why I love Twilight Imperium - For this type of player interaction...

Will set up a thread for TI as some point, unless there already is one?; could be handy just to collate a load of learning materials for the game (links to youtube videos, tutorials etc), as myself and I think a few others, will be newbies to the game. Looking forward to playing it.

There's no formal diplomacy period though in TI? Or is there?
Could just bung it on the thread arranging it here?
http://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com/t581-twilight-imperium-in-greenhill-on-july-4th-independence-day

One thing that would probably be useful for you and any other newbies would be a list of which optional rules we'll play with and without so you know which bits of the rulebooks to skip :-) I'll see if I can remember when I have a few mins...
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Mon 08 Jun 2015, 17:04

Thanks Paul. Will do, makes sense to append it to the existing thread. Hope we can find a replacement for Lizzy; am sure we will. Just hope it's not little old me vs 8 veterans; only just recovered from Sunday's onslaught! Wink
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg on Mon 08 Jun 2015, 17:06

Jamie wrote:Thanks Paul. Will do, makes sense to append it to the existing thread. Hope we can find a replacement for Lizzy; am sure we will. Just hope it's not little old me vs 8 veterans; only just recovered from Sunday's onslaught! Wink
Only Aneurin and Steve have played it more than twice, I think, so you should be in good company Smile
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top