Tuesday August 4th - MULBERRY TAVERN!

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Tuesday August 4th - MULBERRY TAVERN!

Post  DaveB on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 13:11

PaulG wrote:
DaveB wrote:
Aneurin wrote:Note - LAST MINUTE VENUE CHANGE the redhouse is closed now for decorating so

WE ARE PLAYING AT THE MULBERRY TAVERN tonight
It's on Arundel Gate in the city centre

I will bring the boards with Evan before 7.15pm.

Is there much in the way of parking do you know? (I tend to try to avoid the city centre)
There's nothing at the pub itself. You can park on-street around Argos (or there's usually plenty around Arundel Street area) but it's charged until 8.30pm. Or it's only a 6-7 minute walk from the Redhouse if you park there...

Bleh, hope this one isn't a serious contender for our new home then (should one be required...)

DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 13:13

DaveB wrote:Bleh, hope this one isn't a serious contender for our new home then (should one be required...)

Agreed!!

Parking at the Red House was pretty good; can't imagine it being anywhere near as good at The Mulberry Tavern. Hope there are some other alternatives? Maybe the place we went to the last time Joe and Annie were with us. Smile
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 13:15

Is it forever now though, no more Red House? Or, could we possibly be back there after decorating?
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 13:16

Jamie wrote:Is it forever now though, no more Red House? Or, could we possibly be back there after decorating?

Last I heard we have no idea, depends on if the new owner is interested in keeping the arrangement
DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 13:20

Jamie wrote:
DaveB wrote:Bleh, hope this one isn't a serious contender for our new home then (should one be required...)

Agreed!!

Parking at the Red House was pretty good; can't imagine it being anywhere near as good at The Mulberry Tavern. Hope there are some other alternatives? Maybe the place we went to the last time Joe and Annie were with us. Smile
Personally I think that 6-7 mins walk from free parking is pretty good (and it's right by a bus terminus) but I agree it's not as good as free parking right outside. Nearby on-road parking will be £2 for the evening if you get there at 7 (or £1 from 7.30).

Going to be difficult to find somewhere that's free, with lots of space, with free parking, near public transport and central I would think...
paulyg
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 13:23

PaulG wrote:
Going to be difficult to find somewhere that's free, with lots of space, with free parking, near public transport and central I would think...

This is the problem - we've had it good at the Red House, now we've got to compromise. I'm really not enthralled with the idea of the Mulberry Tavern as our regular haunt, but I don't have a better solution. If anyone does, shout up!
PaulC
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.iamasexybitch.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 13:28

PaulG wrote:Going to be difficult to find somewhere that's free, with lots of space, with free parking, near public transport and central I would think...

True, but I'm personally really not thrilled about a location that's significantly further away *and* is a pain to park at.

Only problem is I don't have much in the way of suggestions either - The pub we've used on occaision in the past off the ring road down by London Road is about the best I can come up with (The Scholar, I think)
DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 13:40

It's also carrying bags with games in them, they can get a bit heavy!

For me, my preference would be somewhere with good parking, over being in the city center. I guess some people don't have cars though, so accessibly by public transport is another consideration.

Just off the top of my head...

I thought The Harlequin was pretty good (place we went the last time Joe and Annie were with us), there is a massive car park around the back. We were in the common area of the pub, but I think they may have a function room.

Devonshire Cat maybe? I already go to a thing on the first Tuesday of the month there; and they're not that busy...

Also, maybe we could do a deal with The Portal? [http://www.theportalsheffield.co.uk] It's not a pub, but it's central and I imagine has good parking in the area; may mean people would have to bring their own drinks and snacks.
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 13:46

Kat would also like to join us for Dark Moon if there's still a spot (I think we're at 5 up to now...?)
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 13:48

Paul wrote:
PaulG wrote:

This is the problem - we've had it good at the Red House, now we've got to compromise. I'm really not enthralled with the idea of the Mulberry Tavern as our regular haunt, but I don't have a better solution. If anyone does, shout up!

Well I honestly don't think enough of us were appreciative of what we had at the Redhouse. It was one of the best venues the club has had. This will be a turbulent time - we cannot please everyone now the group is so big... there are many aspects we have to consider...

Parking,
Space,
Storage for boards,
No or reduced charge for space
Public Transport links
Cost of drinks

Another serious thing - Jeff was only taking in £60 on a Tuesday evening towards the end. Pretty much didn't cover the cost of opening up - turning everything on and paying the barman! He only stayed open because he liked the group...

Aneurin
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 13:50

Aneurin wrote:
Paul wrote:
PaulG wrote:

Well I honestly don't think enough of us were appreciative of what we had at the Redhouse. It was one of the best venues the club has had. This will be a turbulent time - we cannot please everyone now the group is so big... there are many aspects we have to consider...

Parking,
Space,
Storage for boards,
No or reduced charge for space
Public Transport links
Cost of drinks

Another serious thing - Jeff was only taking in £60 on a Tuesday evening towards the end. Pretty much didn't cover the cost of opening up - turning everything on and paying the barman! He only stayed open because he liked the group...

I quite agree, we were amazingly lucky with the Redhouse - it was a great home for us and I'm glad we didn't ultimately have to move a year back!
DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TomW on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 13:55

TomW wrote:Dark Moon sounds great - count me in!
Sorry, won't be able to make tonight.

TomW
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 13:56

DaveB wrote:

I quite agree, we were amazingly lucky with the Redhouse - it was a great home for us and I'm glad we didn't ultimately have to move a year back!

We may be able to go back (I want to as it had everything we need!) - if a new owner gets sorted... but at the moment there is nothing in place so we are homeless... hence the need to look for a new place

Harelquin - I think its noisy and dark - is there storage space?
Redhouse - No owner?
Hop - No storage space... being revamped? Is parking any better? It is for me its right by the Uni!
Mulberry Tavern - got everything except parking...
Dev Cat - Busy place? Parking no better than above 2?

Please have a think and let us know...
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Camille&Pierre on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 14:01

I'm quite busy at the moment, so finally dropping out for tonight's session.

Camille&Pierre
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 14:01

Dev cat has on street parking right outside the pub and there is a carpark only a few minutes walk away (the other side of Devonshire green to the pub), not sure of the costs though... or if they're willing or able to provide storage (from memory there (at least used to be) another gaming group that played there)

DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 14:05

Aneurin wrote:
I did wonder about this. This is quite important because, unless we're going to start paying for a room hire, this is pretty much the value that any venue gets out of us. Nowhere is going to open especially for us for that amount of money (probably even the Redhouse under new ownership)... which then means that we're looking at somewhere that's already open on a Tuesday evening and doing ok, which then means probably sharing the space, ...

Not that I have any particular solution to that, but wherever we end up (be it the Redhouse under new ownership or somewhere else) we probably won't find someone interested in board games or the group like Jeff was - they'll mostly be interested in how many drinks we buy.
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 14:13

DaveB wrote:Dev cat has on street parking right outside the pub and there is a carpark only a few minutes walk away (the other side of Devonshire green to the pub), not sure of the costs though... or if they're willing or able to provide storage (from memory there (at least used to be) another gaming group that played there)

Yes, on-street parking outside is very handy. I've played Avalon a few times in there in the past...

Aneurin, if you're happy for me to, I can enquire with the staff at the Devonshire Cat tonight?
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 14:15

Also, how about the Red Deer?
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 14:17

Jamie wrote:
DaveB wrote:Dev cat has on street parking right outside the pub and there is a carpark only a few minutes walk away (the other side of Devonshire green to the pub), not sure of the costs though... or if they're willing or able to provide storage (from memory there (at least used to be) another gaming group that played there)

Yes, on-street parking outside is very handy. I've played Avalon a few times in there in the past...

Aneurin, if you're happy for me to, I can enquire with the staff at the Devonshire Cat tonight?

Yeah please do - I wouldn't rule anywhere out... but again - would the dev cat be happy for us bringing 30 people who aren't buying much in the way of drinks? Storage of boards.
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 14:17

Jamie wrote:Also, how about the Red Deer?

It'd be way too small surely? we can cram in for the sunday sessions but thats typically a lot fewer people...
DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 14:18

They also have a quiz on a Sunday.

I could ask the Uni Arms again about the big upstairs room - last time they wanted £50 per night for it though!
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 14:20

Don't rule out the Mulberry Tavern either. Its like a 2 minute walk from Queen street (£1.50 parking). Paul G visited and said it has everything we need... 2 separate bars. Fee has agreed already to store the boards. I for one don't like the idea of walking but its worth a trial run right?
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 14:25

DaveB wrote:It'd be way too small surely? we can cram in for the sunday sessions but thats typically a lot fewer people...

Yeah, you're probably right, it is a bit on the small side. We'd need to have some people upstairs, some downstairs, which is a bit rubbish.
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 14:28

Aneurin wrote:Don't rule out the Mulberry Tavern either. Its like a 2 minute walk from Queen street (£1.50 parking). Paul G visited and said it has everything we need... 2 separate bars. Fee has agreed already to store the boards. I for one don't like the idea of walking but its worth a trial run right?

Not ruling it out, and its definitely worth a trial, all I'm saying is I'm not keen on the implications for car users (well, that and the location sucks for me, but thats my problem Smile ) - I've had a look and found that its not far from the cheaper parking zone as well so should be able to park a short way away for £1.

Certainly possible it'll be good enough to justify the hassle - lets see Smile
DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 15:11

Also, is it worth sending out an Email for this? I'm just thinking, I've only just noticed that tonights event will be at the new location, and I use the forum quite a bit. Possibly some other's won't notice, and will turn up to a closed Red House?
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Tue 04 Aug 2015, 15:13

Jamie wrote:Also, is it worth sending out an Email for this? I'm just thinking, I've only just noticed that tonights event will be at the new location, and I use the forum quite a bit. Possibly some other's won't notice, and will turn up to a closed Red House?

Yes - I'm going to the Redhouse at 7pm to collect the boards so will leave a message also.
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top