New Venue Discussion... University Arms & Others

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New Venue Discussion... University Arms & Others

Post  PaulC on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 10:57

Jamie wrote:
Regarding the issue of buying drinks (making it worthwhile for the venue to host us), should we consider paying a fixed fee per person? Say £1 or £2? I'd be happy to do that, if it means we can get a nicer place.

I've been putting some thought into this over the last couple of days. My suggestion would be to charge £2 per night in exchange for a £2 drinks voucher. We then don't hold cash ourselves and encourage everyone to buy a drink. However, it does mean that someone has to be the enforcer, but I guess that could be a shared responsibility.
My preference would be to not have to do anything like this, but that would require people to buy drinks of their own volition.

PaulC
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.iamasexybitch.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 11:06

Paul wrote:
Jamie wrote:
Regarding the issue of buying drinks (making it worthwhile for the venue to host us), should we consider paying a fixed fee per person? Say £1 or £2? I'd be happy to do that, if it means we can get a nicer place.

I've been putting some thought into this over the last couple of days. My suggestion would be to charge £2 per night in exchange for a £2 drinks voucher. We then don't hold cash ourselves and encourage everyone to buy a drink. However, it does mean that someone has to be the enforcer, but I guess that could be a shared responsibility.
My preference would be to not have to do anything like this, but that would require people to buy drinks of their own volition.
It's a reasonable idea but, as you say, it does need someone to enforce it (and I think even that would inevitably need a more formalised structure which would seem a shame even just to make sure someone was volunteering every week to do it). Would also need the venue to be ok with it (they might see it as a bit of a faff) and might lead to a view that paying the £2 is sufficient (so might lead some people to buy fewer drinks?). £2 x 30 people is still only the £60 that Jeff was getting in and making a loss on. Yes, some people would still buy more drinks so it wouldn't be as bad as that.

But I suppose, mainly, the Tuesday nights are supposed to be about having fun playing games. If people have to spend time keeping an eye to make sure other people are buying a drink that they're supposed to for fear of being kicked out of a venue then it becomes less fun. However, not sure I have a better solution...
paulyg
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 11:20

I agree Paul,  I don't see it as the perfect solution and would rather it,  or anything similar, wasn't implementated. 

Perhaps, for now, a newsletter broadcast would suffice.  Spelling out, for those that need it,  that we are being allowed to play for free at the pub and warning that, since the pub is not a charity, anyone not buying drinks may be asked to leave by the bar staff. It's not a difficult concept to understand.
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott_Fryer on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 11:21

Aneurin wrote:I think we should try the Mulberry Tavern for another couple of sessions... then (if they haven't already kicked us out) I suggest we poll opinion in early September.  Stay or go...

1 Test new venue for at least a month
2 Poll Stay or Go
3 If Go goto 1.. else celebrate

Firstly, thanks to all those putting in the effort to find a new home, its much appreciated, I've had a little time to digest, and have the following thoughts Smile

This above seems like a good plan, I don't particularly mind the Mulberry tavern, although I missed this week, the first week we were though, things were a little frosty/unwelcome at first but that seemed to have improved noticeably by the end. The lack of soft drinks appears to have been sorted, which was probably my biggest complaint, that and the doom bar had been kept badly Smile. The room itself was a good size, well lit, and good tablespaces. Parking was close by, and relatively inexpensive, and I've a much better selection of places to go for a pre-game feed.

I'd also point out that should it be neccessary to pay subs, I'm fairly happy with that, most of my other hobbies, involve a per/session sub, which can be significantly more than the few pounds covering a function room hire. For our rink hire for example, we initially started by splitting the hourly cost ( £55 ) between all those that attend, we now charge a flat rate, a little higher than standard, but on quiet weeks it covers the shortfall, and allows a small buildup of fund for the hockey club. We also get a preferential rate for booking the slot for a long period, so if the subs route is something we go down, it would be worth trying that too.

Im also happy to help out with storage / transport of the boards, given that I usually can only make it down alternative weeks that may cause an issue, but if required I can store the boards long term, as I have plenty of weatherproof garage space.
Scott_Fryer
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 11:41

Paul wrote:Perhaps, for now, a newsletter broadcast would suffice.  Spelling out, for those that need it,  that we are being allowed to play for free at the pub and warning that, since the pub is not a charity, anyone not buying drinks may be asked to leave by the bar staff. It's not a difficult concept to understand.

I think this is a good starting point - and while I don't think we should name-and-shame folks yet we do need to try and police ourselves a little bit.

For what it's worth, if we can't crack the issue I have no problem with a £2-3 per week cost to go to the bar hosting us.
DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 11:46

Scott - steelhead31 wrote:

Im also happy to help out with storage / transport of the boards, given that I usually can only make it down alternative weeks that may cause an issue, but if required I can store the boards long term, as I have plenty of weatherproof garage space.

Thanks Scott we may just take you up on that offer. I have 1 in my lab - but currently I don't think the boards are being used at the Mulberry are they?

The important part for subs would be getting enough in to cover weeks when not many people are around. We would also need a proper structure and AGMs... voting on who is what role - president, finance etc... Karl has a bit of experience with this I think... I see this as a fall back option if the MT kick us out.

I will send a newsletter this weekend... I know a lot of members don't use the forum all that often anymore... wonder why? Its a political storm these days Wink
Aneurin
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 11:48

Aneurin wrote:but currently I don't think the boards are being used at the Mulberry are they?

I've not seen them used yet, no

Aneurin wrote:The important part for subs would be getting enough in to cover weeks when not many people are around. We would also need a proper structure and AGMs... voting on who is what role - president, finance etc... Karl has a bit of experience with this I think... I see this as a fall back option if the MT kick us out.

It's been a long while but I used to be pretty active in a couple of working committees back when I was in uni and we had to deal with all that stuff, would be happy to help out should it come to that...
DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 12:01

I was on the committee (treasurer) of my choir for a few years. I'd be happy to help if that becomes necessary. I still think we should avoid it if we can. It does sound like a fee every week might be the best way to go though.
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 12:14

I've also been on one or two committees in my time (member, secretary and acting chairman), admittedly, this was several years ago, but I would be to glad help out if things head in that direction.

It's encouraging to see that there are enough of us willing to volunteer our time to keep us going! My Tuesdays would be hell without you guys!
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 12:40

tbh, I'm not sure what difference it would make to form a committee, in practical terms we effectively have that, we just don't bother to give ourselves titles.

If we had a committee, not everyone would be on it and people might feel left out.

Unless we start having to handle serious amounts of money I just don't think it's necessary.
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 12:49

Lizzy wrote:tbh, I'm not sure what difference it would make to form a committee, in practical terms we effectively have that, we just don't bother to give ourselves titles.

If we had a committee, not everyone would be on it and people might feel left out.

Unless we start having to handle serious amounts of money I just don't think it's necessary.

I think it's more a case of if we take weekly subs there is a legal requiement to track the money - if a member asks what their money was spent on etc. The committee should be voted in so people know their money isn't being used in corrupt ways.
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 14:57

Lizzy and I have just been across to the Uni Arms. Ashley the manager has said we can have the large room upstairs reserved for us for free! It's light, bright, space for drinks, does food until 8pm, will keep the boards for us, bar shuts at 11pm and it's close to buses and the tram...  

Its available all year except for 2 weeks at Christmas and no special events will over ride our booking.

There is one CAVEAT... Money... we cannot be seen to be taking over table space and not drinking (or just drinking water). Ashley was quite up front about this so we need a real push from everyone if we are going to move there. He was quite open to the idea of introducing table service to make sure people had drinks etc. Also suggested that if enough people wanted food (like a group thing) served later (around 9pm) that would also be a possibility...

Lizzy and I think we should play there from Tuesday 25th. I think it ticks most boxes...

And Danny (the barman) from the Redhouse will be joining the team there so it will be like home from home... on a more serious note, Danny was never our biggest fan at the Redhouse so we really need to push with supporting this venue.

Jamie and Sam were the biggest critics of the Mulberry Tavern - so hopefully this option appeases them.

1 more week at the Tavern and then you are done people.
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 15:06

Yep, I am very much in favour of the Uni Arms. It's a great space, plenty big enough, enough light, with no noise from the main bar area. People can eat there if they want and the beer is excellent.

I can't really think of any down sides? What is the parking like for people? It's no further from Solly St than The Mulberry Tavern so that's always an option.

The main thing is we will need to earn our keep, but if people make a real effort to support the place then we shouldn't have an issue.
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 15:07

Sir, if there were a Nobel prize for arranging gaming venues, you would surely be in with a shout.
Nice work Aneurin (and Lizzy).
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 15:08

Lizzy wrote:Yep, I am very much in favour of the Uni Arms. It's a great space, plenty big enough, enough light, with no noise from the main bar area. People can eat there if they want and the beer is excellent.

I can't really think of any down sides? What is the parking like for people? It's no further from Solly St than The Mulberry Tavern so that's always an option.

The main thing is we will need to earn our keep, but if people make a real effort to support the place then we shouldn't have an issue.

I 'think' but don't quote me that you can use University parking after 6pm for free. When schools go back I will be coming directly from the University and will be more than happy to take 3x people home (hillsbrough/deepcar way).

To be fair to everyone I will put up a poll though...
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 15:11

Excellent work the pair of you Smile

Street parking around there is same as where I've been parking for the Mulberry Tavern (which is £1 flat after 1630) but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of council run car parks there. If as Aneurin thinks, we can use university parks after 1800 then there should be no problem.

I look forward to trying the place out in a couple of weeks \o/
DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 15:16

The proximity to the hospital may make on street parking busy,  but if necessary there are car parks on Broad Land.
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 15:17

Basically the Uni is too lazy to pay anyone after 5pm...

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/parkingservices/visitors

Pay-and-display
Pay-and-display parking costs £2.30 for up to 4hrs and £3.40 over 4 hrs. Evening parking at Tower Court is free after 5.00pm.

Tower court is right in front of the arts tower - across the road from the Uni Arms. Watch out for drunks under that underpass though Jamie... sorry I couldn't resist tongue

I'm too good to you all.
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 15:17

Paul wrote:The proximity to the hospital may make on street parking busy,  but if necessary there are car parks on Broad Land.

Fair amount of on street stuff off West Street in the little roads around there
DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 15:18

DaveB wrote:
Paul wrote:The proximity to the hospital may make on street parking busy,  but if necessary there are car parks on Broad Land.

Agreed - we'll be fine.
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 15:20

Paul wrote:
DaveB wrote:

Agreed - we'll be fine.

Look 2 messages above - well 3 now...
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 15:22

Great work Aneurin and Lizzy. Sounds like a really good venue. Sad I'll miss the inaugural night there but I'm looking forward to trying it out.
paulyg
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  theatrekat on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 17:31

PaulG wrote:Great work Aneurin and Lizzy. Sounds like a really good venue. Sad I'll miss the inaugural night there but I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Is it gig night? Could do tea and exploding kittens there before gig? It's important to support your local gaming venue x

Also thank you for awesome plan aneurin and lizzy
theatrekat
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  psychomansam on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 18:29

Big win! Cheers Aneurin and lizzy!
psychomansam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Evilevan on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 19:55

Thanks for organising this you two!!

Hopefully this will appease the grumpy types who didn't like venturing into the city centre where parking costs £1 and they might bump into the unsavoury characters who lurk there....?? Shocked

Lets just hope everyone buys at least one drink each and stops bringing their own food to the club - otherwise we'll be looking for another venue again pretty soon if the bar staff think we're taking the piss. That just seems common sense and the decent thing to do to me. Can we get that message around to everyone who doesn't look at this forum?

See you all on the 25th!
Evilevan
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

View user profile http://gibberingmadness-evan.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB on Thu 13 Aug 2015, 19:57

Buying a drink or two is (in my eyes) just common courtesy for using the facilities of a pub when you aren't paying for it. Hope to god this is the end of it....

...but I doubt it Sad
DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top