Pen and paper RPG interest?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pen and paper RPG interest?

Post  DaveB on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 13:51

This probably isn't the best place for this, but I couldn't really think of anywhere better...

For a while I've been interested in dipping my toe into Pen & Paper RPGs. The recent web series "Titansgrave" has only reinforced that interest so I've been talking to some of my friends that are well into their RPGs about getting involved in a game sometime.

One of them, Rico, is interested in running a brief game based on Titansgrave (and the FantasyAGE framework it's built on) to see if the mechanics would work for a bigger game he's planning next year.

Anyway, it's not definitely happening but should it go ahead we'd be looking for a group of around 5-6 players that can commit to a regular weekly, fortnightly or monthly timeslot for the duration of the game (we'll thrash out the details when it's all a bit more definite)

The game, should it happen, is explicitly newbie-friendly but should some more experienced folk be interested I'm sure that's fine too.

Not sure where the game will be hosted, but there is a fair likelihood it might end up at my house in Deepcar (as there is a decent amount of space here).

So, would anyone be interested?

1, DaveB
2, Paul
3, Ste
4, Wired
5, PaulyG
6,


Last edited by DaveB on Sat 15 Aug 2015, 11:07; edited 3 times in total
avatar
DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

Posts : 1345
Join date : 2013-06-18
Age : 39
Location : Deepcar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pen and paper RPG interest?

Post  paulyg on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 14:01

This is certainly something that I'm, in general, interested in trying too but I don't think I could make the regular time commitment at the moment (and it wouldn't be fair to others to pretend that I could). But if this leads to the desire to run some one-shots, or a casual (irregular sessions) campaign or something then I could certainly be interested. I've got a few RPG and RPG-like games arriving over the next few months which I'd be interested in trying out at some point too, again probably as one-shots or mini campaigns.
avatar
paulyg
Starting player token

Posts : 1735
Join date : 2014-03-09
Age : 38
Location : Greenhill

View user profile http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Pen and paper RPG interest?

Post  Ste on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 14:36

This is something I'm interested in. I'm currently involved in a forum based game of Rogue Trader which if you don't know is a game set in the 40K universe. As much as I enjoy it, we've been at it for well over a year now and the progress is slow. Would love to get involved in a live session.

Alas, I'm not sure how available I'm going to be with the impending birth looming over me. However put me down on the list and hopefully I'll be able to drop in from time to time.

Whilst we're on the subject, has anyone given thought to playing one of the Star Wars RPG's by FFG? Edge of the Empire looks particularly cool.
avatar
Ste
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Posts : 265
Join date : 2015-02-05
Location : Gateford

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pen and paper RPG interest?

Post  DaveB on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 14:38

Ste - Blinky wrote:This is something I'm interested in. I'm currently involved in a forum based game of Rogue Trader which if you don't know is a game set in the 40K universe. As much as I enjoy it, we've been at it for well over a year now and the progress is slow. Would love to get involved in a live session.

Alas, I'm not sure how available I'm going to be with the impending birth looming over me. However put me down on the list and hopefully I'll be able to drop in from time to time.

Whilst we're on the subject, has anyone given thought to playing one of the Star Wars RPG's by FFG? Edge of the Empire looks particularly cool.

For what it's worth I'd struggle to commit to a weekly game myself - I'd be looking at either fortnightly or monthly sessions myself.
avatar
DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

Posts : 1345
Join date : 2013-06-18
Age : 39
Location : Deepcar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pen and paper RPG interest?

Post  Ste on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 14:44

Monthly could work for me once things have settled down with the baby. Have you got anymore information about the system you plan on using? I've only really played Rogue Trader and I've looked into Edge of the Empire but nothing else.
avatar
Ste
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Posts : 265
Join date : 2015-02-05
Location : Gateford

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pen and paper RPG interest?

Post  DaveB on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 14:46

Ste - Blinky wrote:Have you got anymore information about the system you plan on using? I've only really played Rogue Trader and I've looked into Edge of the Empire but nothing else.

I can tell you it's called FantasyAGE, and point you towards the Geek and Sundry web series Titansgrave to demonstrate it but not much else - I've never played *any* system - thats kind of the point of the exercise Smile
avatar
DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

Posts : 1345
Join date : 2013-06-18
Age : 39
Location : Deepcar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pen and paper RPG interest?

Post  AndyM on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 14:50

I'd be interested in this, however due to my job It would depend on when we would meet and how often, don't think I can make more than twice a month and it'd have to be a Friday or Saturday for me. Pencil me in though Smile
avatar
AndyM
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Posts : 171
Join date : 2015-07-27
Age : 32
Location : Sheffield

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pen and paper RPG interest?

Post  Ste on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 15:28

I've seen a few episodes of Titansgrave, got bored after 2 episodes though, however I think that's because I didn't like the people Wil Wheaton got on to play the game more than the system itself.
avatar
Ste
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Posts : 265
Join date : 2015-02-05
Location : Gateford

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pen and paper RPG interest?

Post  DaveB on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 15:37

Ste - Blinky wrote:I've seen a few episodes of Titansgrave, got bored after 2 episodes though, however I think that's because I didn't like the people Wil Wheaton got on to play the game more than the system itself.

Funnily enough I was chatting with Paul on the subject - I found it a bit slow going at first but got pretty hooked around ep 3 or 4, ended up really enjoying it.
avatar
DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

Posts : 1345
Join date : 2013-06-18
Age : 39
Location : Deepcar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pen and paper RPG interest?

Post  AndyM on Fri 14 Aug 2015, 16:41

Yeah I discussed this with someone too - I really enjoyed the whole store, wasn't the biggest fan of ankia at first, however as the game went on we found out more and the story was fleshed out! Really enjoyed the series, however I would have preferred to see where the characters were either on a dry erase board or something similar, was hard to imagine where the characters were placed and whether or not they were in range.

Looking forward to playing!
avatar
AndyM
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Posts : 171
Join date : 2015-07-27
Age : 32
Location : Sheffield

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pen and paper RPG interest?

Post  DaveB on Sat 15 Aug 2015, 10:42

Still two spots left! PaulG - given we're looking at the less-frequent end of the spectrum does that make things any easier for you to attend?

OK spoke with Rico last night and this is definitely going ahead now.

He can't start before September (no problem there, I think for anyone)

Can I ask that you all PM me your email addresses? I'll set up an email list that we can all use to sort out scheduling and all that noise.
avatar
DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

Posts : 1345
Join date : 2013-06-18
Age : 39
Location : Deepcar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pen and paper RPG interest?

Post  paulyg on Sat 15 Aug 2015, 11:06

DaveB wrote:Still two spots left! PaulG - given we're looking at the less-frequent end of the spectrum does that make things any easier for you to attend?

OK spoke with Rico last night and this is definitely going ahead now.

He can't start before September (no problem there, I think for anyone)

Can I ask that you all PM me your email addresses? I'll set up an email list that we can all use to sort out scheduling and all that noise.
Yep, if it's going to me more like monthly then I should be able to make that! I'm in!

Looking forward to this. Apart from a one-shot earlier this year, I haven't done any RPGs for about 20 years (I used to play a bit of a few things - D&D, Rune Quest, Paranoia, Doctor Who RPG, Call of Cthulu).
avatar
paulyg
Starting player token

Posts : 1735
Join date : 2014-03-09
Age : 38
Location : Greenhill

View user profile http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Pen and paper RPG interest?

Post  DaveB on Sat 15 Aug 2015, 11:07

PaulG wrote:
Yep, if it's going to me more like monthly then I should be able to make that! I'm in!

Looking forward to this. Apart from a one-shot earlier this year, I haven't done any RPGs for about 20 years (I used to play a bit of a few things - D&D, Rune Quest, Paranoia, Doctor Who RPG, Call of Cthulu).

Yay! added you to the list Very Happy
avatar
DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

Posts : 1345
Join date : 2013-06-18
Age : 39
Location : Deepcar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pen and paper RPG interest?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum