Sunday Session 3rd January @ Red Deer

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sunday Session 3rd January @ Red Deer

Post  Lizzy on Tue 22 Dec 2015, 16:53

Just so everyone knows, The Red Deer is booked for us on a rolling agreement for the first Sunday of every month. They're introducing a charge for the room from the New Year, but they've kindly allowed us to keep using the room for free on the basis that lots of us regularly turn up and buy plenty of food & drink. Obviously if we stop doing that, they'll review the situation.

They've also asked that we don't turn up before 12.30 so they have time to get the room ready.

So, who's going to be there to try out their new games?
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sunday Session 3rd January @ Red Deer

Post  paulyg on Tue 22 Dec 2015, 17:10

Lizzy wrote:Just so everyone knows, The Red Deer is booked for us on a rolling agreement for the first Sunday of every month. They're introducing a charge for the room from the New Year, but they've kindly allowed us to keep using the room for free on the basis that lots of us regularly turn up and buy plenty of food & drink. Obviously if we stop doing that, they'll review the situation.

They've also asked that we don't turn up before 12.30 so they have time to get the room ready.

So, who's going to be there to try out their new games?
Hoping to be there, at least for part of the day!
paulyg
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  psychomansam on Wed 30 Dec 2015, 21:14

Now that Jamie, Sam and I know exactly how not to play Archipelago (thanks guys), we're looking at trying out Exodus Proxima Centauri on Sun. All comers welcome. None of us have played before, so anyone else wanting to watch some vids is especially welcome!
psychomansam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg on Wed 30 Dec 2015, 21:46

psychomansam wrote:Now that Jamie, Sam and I know exactly how not to play Archipelago (thanks guys), we're looking at trying out Exodus Proxima Centauri on Sun. All comers welcome. None of us have played before, so anyone else wanting to watch some vids is especially welcome!
I could be interested... what time are you planning to start?
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Wed 30 Dec 2015, 22:02

Think the time 2pm was mentioned Paul. I'll be good for that, or anytime later.

Also, really enjoyed Archipelago last night. There's quite a lot to it, but once you get your head around it, it's a very interesting enjoyable game. Last night, Sam (non psycho) won on a technicality! The natives revolted and Sam just happened to be the Separatist...
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS on Wed 30 Dec 2015, 22:17

Jamie wrote:Last night, Sam (non psycho) won on a technicality!

Obviously I disapprove of this assessment.
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile http://sam-outlands.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  psychomansam on Wed 30 Dec 2015, 23:11

TomS has signed up which makes 5 with Paul.
psychomansam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeardyTom on Thu 31 Dec 2015, 12:21

It's looking unlikely we'll be able to be there at all this Sunday. If anyone fancies doing something on Friday or Saturday, maybe I can get my gaming fix then.
BeardyTom
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  psychomansam on Thu 31 Dec 2015, 15:52

BeardyTom wrote:It's looking unlikely we'll be able to be there at all this Sunday. If anyone fancies doing something on Friday or Saturday, maybe I can get my gaming fix then.

Well we've not played eclipse for a while...
psychomansam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BeardyTom on Thu 31 Dec 2015, 19:44

psychomansam wrote:
BeardyTom wrote:It's looking unlikely we'll be able to be there at all this Sunday. If anyone fancies doing something on Friday or Saturday, maybe I can get my gaming fix then.

Saturday, then?
BeardyTom
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  psychomansam on Thu 31 Dec 2015, 21:36

BeardyTom wrote:
psychomansam wrote:

Saturday, then?

The other half has just granted permission... anyone else in?
psychomansam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Thu 31 Dec 2015, 23:21

Oh oh Eclipse? Could be tempted if I have car fixed by then.
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

New games!

Post  TheCat on Fri 01 Jan 2016, 11:38

Book me in straight from work for 4:30pmish for any new game! Having withdrawal symptoms from Christmas Monopoly & bananagrams... albino
TheCat
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 23:29

psychomansam wrote:Now that Jamie, Sam and I know exactly how not to play Archipelago (thanks guys), we're looking at trying out Exodus Proxima Centauri on Sun. All comers welcome. None of us have played before, so anyone else wanting to watch some vids is especially welcome!
Well. I've read the rules for Twilight Eclipsium, er I mean Exodus Proxima Centauri ;-) Not sure I can remember all of them but I'm ready to take on this beast!
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy on Sat 02 Jan 2016, 23:36

How many does Exodus play? I'll join if there's space.
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  psychomansam on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 00:04

Lizzy wrote:How many does Exodus play? I'll join if there's space.

2 PM kick-off so be there by half 1 please :-)

6 can play. And you would make it 6. Winning!

Can I put a request out for any R/G/B D6 people have lying about? I bought some today, but may not have enough. Had better read the rules ;-)

For anyone who has read the rules, we will use this official variant for banking/mining/trade: Take 3 or roll for it!
Before any die roll, you may choose a result of 3 and skip rolling. If you want to take your chance and roll, you must use the result of the dice rolled. This represents a good balance between risk taking and rewards. For example, when you perform Mining (assuming advanced mining researched) you may choose to:
• Roll two dice and use the result
• Roll one die and add 3 instead of rolling the second die
• Not roll and use 6 (3+3) as the final result
psychomansam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 08:33

Lizzy wrote:How many does Exodus play? I'll join if there's space.
Up to 6, so yes!
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 09:58

I'll bring my big bag of dice. Should be enough useable in there hopefully.

And this video is an excellent how to play if you have 30 mins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOICx1xZuMU&app=desktop

Planning on being there for 12.30 today if anyone fancies something quick before the beast.
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 10:00

There's also a free iOS companion app which explains all the techs and lets you set your ship movement, which could be slicker than using the tokens potentially.
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew_Wilko on Sun 03 Jan 2016, 11:23

Woo

Andrew_Wilko
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS on Tue 05 Jan 2016, 00:01

Whoops, didn't even see this thread (that's not like me) — sorry I didn't make it on Sunday. Thoughts on the game?
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile http://sam-outlands.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg on Tue 05 Jan 2016, 09:08

Sam wrote:Whoops, didn't even see this thread (that's not like me) — sorry I didn't make it on Sunday. Thoughts on the game?
I'd say it was good in parts.

The good:
- Interesting voting / chancellor / turn order mechanics
- Open tech buying (no 'tree' as such) allows players to develop in different ways
- Inter-system missiles to destroy population / resources is an interesting idea and something I'd not seen elsewhere
- Resource systems were good - particularly ability to share planets (turn order then becomes important as to who grabs the resources first) and depletion of resources

The bad:
- Component quality, rulebook, general layout & thoughtfulness of design (e.g. you can have two of each ship type, but there's no particular way to note which of the two ships has been damaged or is carrying population)
- Everything feels really fiddly, from tiny resource cylinders (which Sam sensibly replaced with something less insane) to having half victory points
- Token-based hidden movement so fiddly that we immediately abandoned it - reverse turn order movement was an ok replacement but probably over-emphasised turn order importance towards the end
- Victory points incentivised boring behaviour rather than exciting space combat (e.g. you get victory points for each hex occupied by your ships at the end leading everyone to scatter their ships rather than fighting battles for control of the centre)

I think the 2nd edition fixes some of the bad points, and you can certainly adapt the rules to improve the game (e.g. we decided to start the hexes face-down so that there was an exploration element, which is not in the rules). There's a decent game in there somewhere but it feels like it got released whilst still half-baked.

It took us about 4.5 hours for a 4-player game (admittedly all new to it, so perhaps you could shave an hour off that) so roughly in the ballpark of Eclipse. From what I've seen, Eclipse is way more polished.

About 90% of the ideas in the game are in Eclipse, Twilight Imperium or whatever other 4X games. The other 10% is really interesting, but not enough to make me want to play this more than TI3.
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC on Tue 05 Jan 2016, 09:55

PaulG wrote:
Sam wrote:Whoops, didn't even see this thread (that's not like me) — sorry I didn't make it on Sunday. Thoughts on the game?
I'd say it was good in parts.

The good:
- Interesting voting / chancellor / turn order mechanics
- Open tech buying (no 'tree' as such) allows players to develop in different ways
- Inter-system missiles to destroy population / resources is an interesting idea and something I'd not seen elsewhere
- Resource systems were good - particularly ability to share planets (turn order then becomes important as to who grabs the resources first) and depletion of resources

The bad:
- Component quality, rulebook, general layout & thoughtfulness of design (e.g. you can have two of each ship type, but there's no particular way to note which of the two ships has been damaged or is carrying population)
- Everything feels really fiddly, from tiny resource cylinders (which Sam sensibly replaced with something less insane) to having half victory points
- Token-based hidden movement so fiddly that we immediately abandoned it - reverse turn order movement was an ok replacement but probably over-emphasised turn order importance towards the end
- Victory points incentivised boring behaviour rather than exciting space combat (e.g. you get victory points for each hex occupied by your ships at the end leading everyone to scatter their ships rather than fighting battles for control of the centre)

I think the 2nd edition fixes some of the bad points, and you can certainly adapt the rules to improve the game (e.g. we decided to start the hexes face-down so that there was an exploration element, which is not in the rules). There's a decent game in there somewhere but it feels like it got released whilst still half-baked.

It took us about 4.5 hours for a 4-player game (admittedly all new to it, so perhaps you could shave an hour off that) so roughly in the ballpark of Eclipse. From what I've seen, Eclipse is way more polished.

About 90% of the ideas in the game are in Eclipse, Twilight Imperium or whatever other 4X games. The other 10% is really interesting, but not enough to make me want to play this more than TI3.

That's by and large what I said when I played it 18(ish) months ago. Glad to hear my opinion was in line with yours. Smile
PaulC
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.iamasexybitch.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Tue 05 Jan 2016, 11:18

On the video I saw, I think they mentioned using a notepad to record ship movement orders. Anyhow, sorry I missed the game too; wouldn't mind giving it a whirl some other time.

PaulG wrote:It took us about 4.5 hours for a 4-player game (admittedly all new to it, so perhaps you could shave an hour off that) so roughly in the ballpark of Eclipse. From what I've seen, Eclipse is way more polished.

Have you still not played Eclipse yet Paul? We definitely need to remedy that! Smile
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB on Tue 05 Jan 2016, 11:34

PaulC wrote:

That's by and large what I said when I played it 18(ish) months ago. Glad to hear my opinion was in line with yours. Smile

Yep same here pretty much. Still have exactly no interest in going back and giving it a second go Smile
DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top