Tuesday 2nd February

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Tuesday 2nd February

Post  PaulC on Wed 03 Feb 2016, 09:36

Lizzy, JJohnP, Evan, what did you think of the Viticulture game we played last night?
I like the new board, particularly the new Wake Up Table. I wasn't sold on the regional influence mechanic, but that may just have been because the makeshift components we used made it quite difficult to see what was happening over there.
I wasn't overly impressed with the Structures expansion, we all seemed to focus on building the standard structures rather than the new ones, but perhaps it's significant that the only player to build a non-standard structure was the eventual winner...

Next time, I think I'll take structures out, and perhaps add in the Patronage (individual end game bonuses) and Formaggio (Cheese making) expansions.

PaulC
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.iamasexybitch.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnH on Wed 03 Feb 2016, 16:19

Did I imagine it or did Aneurin pop in last night just to rattle the collection tin?

Laughing
JohnH
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b on Wed 03 Feb 2016, 17:58

He did but I'd already rattled so he left, unfulfilled.
karl_b
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy S on Wed 03 Feb 2016, 20:49

Thanks for the kind comments about The Path to Panic. I already have an idea to try to improve the first phase, inspired by comments made by everyone last night.

Instead of everyone starting together in the foyer, each player will start in one of the six rooms with an external door (randomly assigned). Before the first round starts, 2 Non-player Panicked will spawn, one in each of the rooms with the highest cumulative Pheromone Intensity (dice rolls decide ties). I was hesitant to spawn NPPs without a player to help control them, but I think if they're governed by really simple, straightforward rules, it should work.

Tying it in to the story is no problem: as discussed last night, it's feasible that the group could be surprised by a horde of the Panicked and end up getting divided as they run away.

At the start of the 2nd and 3rd rounds, 3 more NPPs spawn, again entering the rooms with the most highest Pheromone Intensity. Kes was 100% right in that if there are no worthwhile decisions for players to make, it's not really a game. Hopefully, the fact that the players are separated from the start, as well as the complication of the influx of NPPs, will force players to think more carefully about what they do.

Do you ignore the NPPs and focus on searching to prepare yourselves for the start of round 4, when the Original Panicked appears? Or is it more important to take out each wave of NPPs, to prevent being overwhelmed by 8 of them come the start of the 3rd round? Should Charlotte start assessing rooms, or is it more important that she uses her remedies to keep her companions from amassing Viral Overload cards? What if Alexander (the weakest character) starts alone in a room with all its doors locked - do you send Gunnar to his rescue?

I also have some ideas of how to deal with other issues mentioned last night (namely the semi-stacked search deck and variation of the first player during the first phase). The most difficult thing to do - although I agree that I need to at least try - is to work out how to drip-feed the story without compromising on mechanics.

All comments or questions are welcome!

TLDR: I'm working on some new mechanics to try and solve some of the remaining problems in the game - only playtesting will tell if they work. Finessing the story will be the biggest challenge.

Thanks everyone for reading and all your support.
Andy S
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy on Thu 04 Feb 2016, 22:50

PaulC: I really liked it. The new board gave some more options for getting points and I agree the new wake up board was good.

I'm not sure about the regions thing either, but I was kinda ignoring it by the end. I only saw the structure card I played so not sure how interesting they are really. Still not convinced it was the right move to play it when I hadn't built my cellars yet. There didn't seem many ways to get those cards so didn't seem worth the effort to get one without knowing it would be any use.

Anyway, I love the game and really looking forward to trying some other modules!
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top