Roll With It 2016

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Roll With It 2016

Post  RD52169 on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 09:32

Hi everyone, (I know it's early but I'm gonna be quite busy this year).

I'm starting to look at ideas and potential venues for Roll With It this year.

Would any of you be interested in volunteering to run some games again?

Cheers
Rob

RD52169
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Posts : 64
Join date : 2015-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Roll With It 2016

Post  Scott_Fryer on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 10:01

Thoroughly enjoyed last year, so I'd definitely be up for this again.
avatar
Scott_Fryer
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Posts : 278
Join date : 2015-03-05
Age : 41
Location : Waverley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Roll With It 2016

Post  Lizzy on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 10:06

I'd be happy to demo again.
avatar
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1289
Join date : 2013-05-24
Location : Hillsborough

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Roll With It 2016

Post  DaveB on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 11:15

I was very sorry to have to pull out last year - I'd definitely be up for helping out if I can this time round!
avatar
DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

Posts : 1322
Join date : 2013-06-18
Age : 38
Location : Deepcar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Roll With It 2016

Post  BeardyTom on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 11:35

I'd love to be involved in this again. It was excellent last year.
avatar
BeardyTom
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Posts : 461
Join date : 2014-09-02
Age : 41
Location : Nether Edge/Highfield

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Roll With It 2016

Post  Jamie on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 12:00

I'd love to help out again Andy.
avatar
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Posts : 1178
Join date : 2014-08-03
Location : Camelot (nr Intake)

View user profile http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Roll With It 2016

Post  PaulC on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 13:41

Count me in again, Andy.
avatar
PaulC
Starting player token

Posts : 1565
Join date : 2013-06-17
Age : 44
Location : Sheffield

View user profile http://www.iamasexybitch.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Roll With It 2016

Post  karl_b on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 17:56

Yes, count me in. I thought the venue in Handsworth was great last year but wonder whether a city centre location would generate more interest? Perhaps the club can help with some of the organisation?
avatar
karl_b
Admin
Admin

Posts : 801
Join date : 2012-09-04
Age : 31
Location : Norton, Sheffield

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Roll With It 2016

Post  PaulC on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 18:20

karl_b wrote:Yes, count me in. I thought the venue in Handsworth was great last year but wonder whether a city centre location would generate more interest? Perhaps the club can help with some of the organisation?

What about the place opposite the institute of music? Jerry ran an expo there last year. Was a good space... Lizzy - what's it called?
avatar
PaulC
Starting player token

Posts : 1565
Join date : 2013-06-17
Age : 44
Location : Sheffield

View user profile http://www.iamasexybitch.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Roll With It 2016

Post  RD52169 on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 18:47

Thank you guys, I would really appreciate any help I could get at all this year, as I'm going to be incredibly busy, very soon (I have a baby coming in May) hence I'm starting early with the organisation.

Finding a venue has been particularly tricky as I manage to cover the cost by running separate fund raising events prior to the main event.
Also Aviva (the company I work for) match anything I raise for a charity.
So as the Handsworth rectory are a charity and the venue hire was £400, I only need to raise £200 prior to the event (usually through a raffle at work) to cover the cost

If the venue isn't a charity I have to raise the full amount which is more difficult when you are trying to fund raise for a private organisation and not a charity...

Does any of that make sense?

So far Iv found the millennium gallery which seemed a suitable size and price, however they won't allow me to use it for a fundraising event for another charity.

There are many smaller venues around the city, but they are a little too small.

RD52169
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Posts : 64
Join date : 2015-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Roll With It 2016

Post  Evilevan on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 18:48

PaulC wrote:
karl_b wrote:Yes, count me in. I thought the venue in Handsworth was great last year but wonder whether a city centre location would generate more interest? Perhaps the club can help with some of the organisation?

What about the place opposite the institute of music? Jerry ran an expo there last year. Was a good space...  Lizzy - what's it called?

The Workstation?
avatar
Evilevan
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Posts : 421
Join date : 2012-03-07
Age : 44
Location : Heeley, Sheffield

View user profile http://gibberingmadness-evan.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Roll With It 2016

Post  PaulC on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 21:00

evan wrote:
PaulC wrote:
karl_b wrote:Yes, count me in. I thought the venue in Handsworth was great last year but wonder whether a city centre location would generate more interest? Perhaps the club can help with some of the organisation?

What about the place opposite the institute of music? Jerry ran an expo there last year. Was a good space...  Lizzy - what's it called?

The Workstation?

That's the one!
avatar
PaulC
Starting player token

Posts : 1565
Join date : 2013-06-17
Age : 44
Location : Sheffield

View user profile http://www.iamasexybitch.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Roll With It 2016

Post  Lizzy on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 22:43

The workstation is crazy expensive to hire.

I've had my eye on the Walkley Community Centre as a possible venue for large events. Its capacity is only 100, but it's cheap.

There's also st mary's church on the ring road. They hire for conferences, but I believe they do big discounts if you're doing something for charity.
avatar
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1289
Join date : 2013-05-24
Location : Hillsborough

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Roll With It 2016

Post  RD52169 on Thu 17 Mar 2016, 08:53

I'll give both the workstation and st Mary's a try today
Thank you guys

RD52169
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Posts : 64
Join date : 2015-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Roll With It 2016

Post  Aneurin on Thu 17 Mar 2016, 09:52

I'm in...

Wondering if somewhere like the University Students Union would offer some space up for free - as this is for charity? Worth an ask!



avatar
Aneurin
Starting player token

Posts : 2615
Join date : 2011-07-20
Age : 37
Location : Deepcar

View user profile http://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Roll With It 2016

Post  Jamie on Thu 17 Mar 2016, 10:42

Aneurin wrote:I'm in...

Wondering if somewhere like the University Students Union would offer some space up for free - as this is for charity? Worth an ask!

I was wondering too; if there's any suitable space that's linked to the university? What about the Octagon?

Also, just a though, there's Ponds Forge; they have a sports hall (or half a sports hall) that can be hired for events. Also, they have an upstairs bit too; that they hire out.
avatar
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Posts : 1178
Join date : 2014-08-03
Location : Camelot (nr Intake)

View user profile http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Roll With It 2016

Post  Aneurin on Thu 17 Mar 2016, 10:47

Jamie wrote:
Aneurin wrote:I'm in...

Wondering if somewhere like the University Students Union would offer some space up for free - as this is for charity? Worth an ask!

I was wondering too; if there's any suitable space that's linked to the university? What about the Octagon?

Also, just a though, there's Ponds Forge; they have a sports hall (or half a sports hall) that can be hired for events. Also, they have an upstairs bit too; that they hire out.

I wouldn't use the Octogon - the acoustics would not be great for such an event. We would need tables etc... and as it is directly University space they would want money for it...

The Students Union has loads of space and tables and if it is a charity event we might be able to persuade them to give us it for free.
avatar
Aneurin
Starting player token

Posts : 2615
Join date : 2011-07-20
Age : 37
Location : Deepcar

View user profile http://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Roll With It 2016

Post  Scott_Fryer on Thu 17 Mar 2016, 13:46

There's also the Portal, not sure if its big enough at the moment, but I gather they are moving to a larger venue at some point...
avatar
Scott_Fryer
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Posts : 278
Join date : 2015-03-05
Age : 41
Location : Waverley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Roll With It 2016

Post  RD52169 on Thu 17 Mar 2016, 14:12

I was contacted by the portal for the last event. However it was quite small.

Aneurin is right both Hallam and the Uni of Sheffield wanted money to hire their halls. However I didn't realise the students Union was something separate.
I'll try and get hold of both.

P.S. Iv tried the workstation, availability is limited and will cos £1000. So a little expensive.
Iv had to email St Mary's Church and I'm waiting for a response. Same goes for Sheffield International Venues (city hall, ponds forge, institute of sport)

RD52169
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Posts : 64
Join date : 2015-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Roll With It 2016

Post  Andy S on Thu 17 Mar 2016, 15:50

I was unaware of this event last year and I know nothing about it.  I am happy to help in some way if I can, but can someone please provide a rundown of the details of this event?  I tried to find a website but only found a Facebook page discussing last year's event (and multiple pages relating to an Oasis tribute band).  I might have an idea for venue hire, but it depends on the specifics of the event.  Thanks.

Also, a bit confused, Mr RD52169, as you signed off as "Rob" at the end of your first post, but people seem to address you as "Andy"?

Thanks for any information you can provide.
avatar
Andy S
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Posts : 211
Join date : 2015-03-29
Location : Woodhouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Roll With It 2016

Post  PaulC on Thu 17 Mar 2016, 16:07

Colonial Andy wrote:I was unaware of this event last year and I know nothing about it.  I am happy to help in some way if I can, but can someone please provide a rundown of the details of this event?  I tried to find a website but only found a Facebook page discussing last year's event (and multiple pages relating to an Oasis tribute band).  I might have an idea for venue hire, but it depends on the specifics of the event.  Thanks.

Also, a bit confused, Mr RD52169, as you signed off as "Rob" at the end of your first post, but people seem to address you as "Andy"?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

It was a charity event, punters paid for the privilege of having us demo our games to them, Patriot set up a mini shop and then we all cleaned up on the raffle!
A great day, we got to introduce people to load of new games and all for a great cause.
avatar
PaulC
Starting player token

Posts : 1565
Join date : 2013-06-17
Age : 44
Location : Sheffield

View user profile http://www.iamasexybitch.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Roll With It 2016

Post  RD52169 on Thu 17 Mar 2016, 16:13

Pretty much as Paul said
I think we had 86 people attend in total and raised just short of a grand.
We also ran a few competitions (Pitch Car, Splendor and Wings of War) with prizes for winners.

Also my name is Rob and I have no idea why people called me Andy lol.

RD52169
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Posts : 64
Join date : 2015-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Roll With It 2016

Post  PaulC on Thu 17 Mar 2016, 16:17

RD52169 wrote:Pretty much as Paul said
I think we had 86 people attend in total and raised just short of a grand.
We also ran a few competitions (Pitch Car, Splendor and Wings of War) with prizes for winners.

Also my name is Rob and I have no idea why people called me Andy lol.

I just copied Jamie! It's his fault! Smile

Anyway, what's wrong with bring called Andy?
avatar
PaulC
Starting player token

Posts : 1565
Join date : 2013-06-17
Age : 44
Location : Sheffield

View user profile http://www.iamasexybitch.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Roll With It 2016

Post  RD52169 on Thu 17 Mar 2016, 16:18

Also the charity is WellChild. They are the national charity for seriously sick children. They provide nurses and also funding for research into children diseases. They also renovate homes to improve the standard of living for children.

Oh and I don't have a website as I'm just a one man band with no funding and limited time. You can find us on Facebook and Twitter although they are mainly used to promote the event and not much else

RD52169
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Posts : 64
Join date : 2015-08-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Roll With It 2016

Post  Jamie on Thu 17 Mar 2016, 16:26

Colonial Andy wrote:Also, a bit confused, Mr RD52169, as you signed off as "Rob" at the end of your first post, but people seem to address you as "Andy"?

That's my fault Andy, I was having a 'trigger moment' (like from Only Fools and Horses, where Trigger keeps calling Rodney, 'Dave').

Sorry Andy! (oops, I mean Rob). Smile
avatar
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Posts : 1178
Join date : 2014-08-03
Location : Camelot (nr Intake)

View user profile http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Roll With It 2016

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum