That big lump of text... Leave it?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Should the club description text remain?

27% 27% 
[ 3 ]
73% 73% 
[ 8 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 11

That big lump of text... Leave it?

Post  Aneurin on Mon 02 May 2016, 08:17

I'm sorry I tried but I cannot leave this alone.

I know people in general wanted a statement about harassment procedures - and that this was merged with an extra description of how he club works... And that's fine...

However I personally think the current statement is way to long for the front page and is detracting from the content and purpose of this forum. More so than the Calendar (which created a storm if I remember). I am finding myself scrolling to reach the content I really want to see. And that is annoying me. I don't use the mobile version of this forum so can't comment on that...

Am I the only one? Maybe?

Rather than just jumping right in and changing things to please myself I'm opening this poll. Answers are anonymous but if you have any comments regarding the statement and possible changes you can post here or send me a PM.

I'll leave this open for a few weeks.

Last edited by Aneurin on Mon 02 May 2016, 15:56; edited 1 time in total
Aneurin
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Re: That big lump of text... Leave it?

Post  karl_b on Mon 02 May 2016, 09:19

I think it should stay but needs reformatting. Ideally, it'd have a brief intro with a 'more' button which expands the text but that doesn't seem to be a standard website option (that I can see). If someone knows how to code that then please feel free to mention it here or drop me a pm.
karl_b
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b on Mon 02 May 2016, 09:20

Further - my issue with an announcement thread is that it isn't immediately visible/obvious.
karl_b
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg on Mon 02 May 2016, 09:21

Karl - agree on both points.
paulyg
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott_Fryer on Mon 02 May 2016, 09:38

I'd leave it, but it should be possible to hide some of the text behind a hide/unhide button.. I've PM'd Karl some details on an implementation I've used elsewhere, it works in posts, so I think it should work in the wall of text..
Scott_Fryer
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy on Mon 02 May 2016, 09:39

I thought this was already decided? In the original thread people seemed happy about the content, but that it needs moving so you don't have to scroll through it every time. We just need to figure out how to do that.
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Mon 02 May 2016, 09:43

karl_b wrote:Further - my issue with an announcement thread is that it isn't immediately visible/obvious.

Disagree. Completely.

I think it should be a GLOBAL announcement (i.e. Visible on every forum page - for people that link directly to each page). This gives it visibility on every page. More than it has now. And in essence is what announcments are for. Like the 'when and where' thread/announcement but updated to an 'about us'. And including everything. We can update it then as new issues arise.

Then we have a link to it from the main description - I.e. 1 line on the main page. This does not distract from the purpose/content of the forum for established users - yet offers new members a clear easy access to the information they might require.

Something like this on the main page.

Sheffield Board Games is a fun place to play your a favourite board games. For more information about how the club works and our informal rules please click here.

I think this serves the benefit of everyone.
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Mon 02 May 2016, 09:49

Lizzy wrote:I thought this was already decided? In the original thread people seemed happy about the content, but that it needs moving so you don't have to scroll through it every time. We just need to figure out how to do that.

Yes but nothing was done - so I thought a timely bump for the issue. And I didn't want to take over and make decisions for the club myself.

Interestingly the poll suggests leave as is. Let's see how it develops. Let the club speak for itself.
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy on Mon 02 May 2016, 09:52

Having a link on the main page to the rest of the text comes to the same thing as a more button so sounds fine to me.
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy on Mon 02 May 2016, 09:57

The poll only seems to have the option of leaving it or moving it entirely to an announcement thread. Neither of which are what we had decided to do before.
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b on Mon 02 May 2016, 09:59

You know what, I don't care. Frankly, I'm bored arguing about it. Feel free to change whatever. There are a few people with the appropriate rights to the website.
karl_b
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy on Mon 02 May 2016, 10:10

This really doesn't need to be an argument at all :-( . Everyone seems to want the same thing. Gary knows what he's doing with websites so I'll get him to have a go at sorting it. We can always change it back.
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy on Mon 02 May 2016, 11:15

Right, how's that?

I made it a new forum rather than a global announcement so the information is obvious to anyone visiting from the mobile app. They don't get the main page at all, but now they should be able to find the information easily.

Obviously I can change stuff, but If no-one has any objections I'll delete this thread and make a general one for people to talk about any other changes they want to suggest.
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB on Mon 02 May 2016, 11:18

Lizzy - I think this is probably the best solution given the tools available - I certainly prefer this to a wall of text in the front page - good job!
DaveB
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie on Mon 02 May 2016, 12:19

Seems okay as it is now. Only issue I had, was that it took up quite a bit of space, and you had to scroll down more (a bit more cumbersome on mobile). Seems fine as it is now; I'm sure it could be even better; but I honestly don't think it's worth the effort, just for minor improvements.
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

View user profile http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg on Mon 02 May 2016, 13:42

Looks good!
paulyg
Starting player token

View user profile http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  psychomansam on Mon 02 May 2016, 15:28

Well done lizzy
psychomansam
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Mon 02 May 2016, 16:04

Lizzy wrote:Right, how's that?
I'll delete this thread and make a general one for people to talk about any other changes they want to suggest.

Looks great... exactly what I thought would look best Wink... and I didn't have to do it. Even better. Well done being pro-active. You are braver than me!

As is my role these days - playing devil's advocate (aka being a pain in the arse) my thread was not to make this happen but for the club to remain a diplomacy and canvas opinion. With that in mind it would have been nice to perhaps leave the poll open a little longer as I know some people felt quite strongly about the (harassment) statement... but it's done now. We don't want to chop and change back.

I have changed this to a normal post to clean up the forum - However, with the above point in mind I do think we should leave it open (i.e. don't delete it) for transparency and anyone with a major issue with the new layout can make their voice known somewhere at least.
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin on Mon 02 May 2016, 16:55

I also added some info about the current 'committee'. Think that came up last time and John H worried me when he said he thought I ran the show. This isn't my club... it's a group of like minded people meeting to play games... We need to highlight that none of us run it... we can disagree with one-another and the popular vote wins...

Liz - we talked about adding pictures... I can see the advantage but all 5 of the current 'committee' have their profile pictures set so I don't think we need that... it's just whether that we should include this in the information page or it's ok as is - in the about us section. See what you think.
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy on Mon 02 May 2016, 17:32

I thought the poll was pretty conclusive and I've only done what people asked for in the origional thread. I didn't see any point waiting to sort it out if it's annoying scrolling through it all.

It's no trouble at all to change it again if we need to. If anyone has any concerns about the changes or any suggestions about what else to do then please say so.

We can leave this thread here if you want, I just didn't want it cluttering up all the forums.

When I mentioned people in the information I linked to their profile so people can see the picture of who I'm referring to there.
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  psychomansam on Wed 04 May 2016, 11:02

Aneurin wrote:I also added some info about the current 'committee'. Think that came up last time and John H worried me when he said he thought I ran the show. This isn't my club... it's a group of like minded people meeting to play games... We need to highlight that none of us run it... we can disagree with one-another and the popular vote wins...  

Two things discussed recently which should be represented on the committee: librarian + new members

Librarian: see Jamie-s post on this. We should formalise a system for tracking and encouraging returns. I also think it would be good to make some available at club sessions more regularly.
I'm getting increasingly obsessive about looking after games and the current state of Agricola leaves something to be desired, so I'd be happy to volunteer to be a librarian.
New members: perhaps it would help for someone to be formally given this role*. Perhaps someone who is also focussed on comms or equalities? I also think it should probably be passed around (along with all roles?) as people change their focus over time.

*You can judge any group pretty well by just looking at how they treat outsiders.
psychomansam
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS on Sat 07 May 2016, 00:18

Can we add some pictures to the "General information about the club"? A picture of the Uni Arms underneath the first paragraph, then just lots of pictures of me looking like I'm winning whatever game I'm playing.

Lizzy wrote:You don’t need to tell us you’re coming, just turn up and make yourself known and we’ll fit you in to a game.

This kind of sounds like we don't want you to tell us you're coming. I really appreciated the forum as a new member to ease myself into the club. How about something like "Come down announced or unannounced. If you haven't arranged a game just make yourself known and we'll fit you in.".

Lizzy wrote:It doesn’t matter if you haven’t played any games before, everyone is always happy to teach a game before starting to play and it’s common for games to be new to everyone playing.

This comma isn't doing anything for me. Feels like a colon sort of situation?
SamVS
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

View user profile http://sam-outlands.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS on Sat 07 May 2016, 00:20

Front page looks great, by the way. You've made the right decision about where the information should go. Now about that calendar...
SamVS
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

View user profile http://sam-outlands.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  psychomansam on Sat 07 May 2016, 07:54

Sam wrote:Can we add some pictures to the "General information about the club"? A picture of the Uni Arms underneath the first paragraph, then just lots of pictures of me looking like I'm winning whatever game I'm playing.

Lizzy wrote:You don’t need to tell us you’re coming, just turn up and make yourself known and we’ll fit you in to a game.

This kind of sounds like we don't want you to tell us you're coming. I really appreciated the forum as a new member to ease myself into the club. How about something like "Come down announced or unannounced. If you haven't arranged a game just make yourself known and we'll fit you in.".

Lizzy wrote:It doesn’t matter if you haven’t played any games before, everyone is always happy to teach a game before starting to play and it’s common for games to be new to everyone playing.

This comma isn't doing anything for me. Feels like a colon sort of situation?

A semicolon or perhuaps a dash of some sort for emphasis. I like dashes.
I don't think we have any of those pictures you wanted....
psychomansam
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top