Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tuesday 28th April

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Tuesday 28th April - Page 2 Empty Re: Tuesday 28th April

Post  Jamie Thu 23 Apr 2015, 13:40

Mattel wrote:I'll take twice a year on consecutive weeks.......

Oh yeah! That sounds about right! Wink

Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Evilevan Thu 23 Apr 2015, 22:30

Aneurin wrote:Sure they will make an appearance at some point.

I have Shadows of Brimstone city of ancients - An old west/Cthulhu mashup if anyone is interested. It's a 4 player co-op decent/Imperial assault style game - just without a DM as far as I can tell.

Me for this please!! Very Happy
Evilevan
Evilevan
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

http://gibberingmadness-evan.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mattel Fri 24 Apr 2015, 08:35

evan wrote:
Aneurin wrote:Sure they will make an appearance at some point.

I have Shadows of Brimstone city of ancients - An old west/Cthulhu mashup if anyone is interested. It's a 4 player co-op decent/Imperial assault style game - just without a DM as far as I can tell.

Me for this please!! Very Happy

There are a couple of walkthroughs and playthroughs online in the usual places, looks interesting!

Mattel
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin Fri 24 Apr 2015, 09:52

Brimstone for myself, Evan and Matt...

I make that 1 spot left... any takers?
Aneurin
Aneurin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom_S Sat 25 Apr 2015, 18:13

I came a few weeks ago but been stuck in work almost solidly ever since. Thankfully I changed jobs and therefore am now free most Tuesday evenings.

Would I be able to come along and bring a +1?
Tom_S
Tom_S
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Sat 25 Apr 2015, 18:20

Tom_S wrote:I came a few weeks ago but been stuck in work almost solidly ever since. Thankfully I changed jobs and therefore am now free most Tuesday evenings.

Of course! See you in Tuesday!
PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Sat 25 Apr 2015, 19:26

Tom_S wrote:I came a few weeks ago but been stuck in work almost solidly ever since. Thankfully I changed jobs and therefore am now free most Tuesday evenings.

Hi Tom,

Would you be the Tom who lost the Machi Koro wheat field card? (that someone put in to my set as we were playing the same game on the next table)

If so; it's been laying underneath the insert in my Avalon box, waiting for your return...

If it's not you; please ignore this post!
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  MrWilBaker Sun 26 Apr 2015, 22:41

I've got a friend coming on Tuesday and would like to show him some of the sillier games that can be played. I'm thinking Rampage (Terror...) Colt Express, Camel Up. Unfortunately, I don't own any of these games. If possible, could I borrow one, or all, for the night?
MrWilBaker
MrWilBaker
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Mon 27 Apr 2015, 06:01

MrWilBaker wrote:I've got a friend coming on Tuesday and would like to show him some of the sillier games that can be played. I'm thinking Rampage (Terror...) Colt Express, Camel Up. Unfortunately, I don't own any of these games. If possible, could I borrow one, or all, for the night?
I'll stick Rampage in my bag...
PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Mon 27 Apr 2015, 14:00

Still got a couple of slots open for Specter Ops if anyone is up for it...
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  BeardyTom Mon 27 Apr 2015, 14:08

I'm going to be along a bit late this Tuesday otherwise I'd book a seat at the Specter Ops table. That looked fun when I saw you guys playing it at the Red Deer last time.
BeardyTom
BeardyTom
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes Tue 28 Apr 2015, 15:06

I've put a thread up in General Ramblings about club clothing so anyone that gets a chance to choose what they want before tonight, please bring me the money.
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

http://www.kesSmith.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes Tue 28 Apr 2015, 17:01

If there are two spots left on spec ops then we'll take em
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

http://www.kesSmith.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue 28 Apr 2015, 17:04

Kes wrote:If there are two spots left on spec ops then we'll take em

Sold!
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  MrWilBaker Tue 28 Apr 2015, 17:58

Paul wrote:
MrWilBaker wrote:I've got a friend coming on Tuesday and would like to show him some of the sillier games that can be played. I'm thinking Rampage (Terror...) Colt Express, Camel Up. Unfortunately, I don't own any of these games. If possible, could I borrow one, or all, for the night?
I'll stick Rampage in my bag...

Thank you, Paul.
MrWilBaker
MrWilBaker
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Wed 29 Apr 2015, 09:38

Argh, lost (again) at Avalon last night, well done team evil!

With the 3 people to my left all being evil, my pick was good's last hope. Thinking back now, I should have put more credence on Matt's assertion that Dave was evil, and put myself, Matt, Tom and Karl (the 2 people dave put on mission 1 with himself) on my team. Even if I had picked a good team, it would still have needed 6 good votes.

It's hard for good to win with 10 players...

Probably should have added in the trapper module, and/or, the seargent module. Even an evil rouge (not a team player) could help good.
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Wed 29 Apr 2015, 10:26

Karl thinks being Merlin he has learnt a lot about how people play the game. I've got to start acting like a spy when I'm the resistance so I can protect my spy game! Jamie, you've got to stop re-dealing when I get a blue card. It happens every time!

People probably want to be secretive about it, but has anyone spotted spy tells in people they have played a few games with? Does anyone behave differently? Sharing it might spice things up, make it easier for the resistance, or at least force people to mix up their act.

Anybody got a copy of any version of The Resistance I could borrow next week? I want to introduce it to the family and see what they think. If they do, who knows, there might be a new group of players the week after.

What did the Spec Oppers think of the five player game?
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

http://sam-outlands.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Wed 29 Apr 2015, 11:50

Sam wrote:What did the Spec Oppers think of the five player game?

it's bastard hard trying to evade four Hunters, also I don't think the traitor mechanic adds a huge amount to the game... although it's fun to sow discord amongst the hunters as they start second-guessing each other... Smile
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Wed 29 Apr 2015, 12:10

Sam wrote:People probably want to be secretive about it, but has anyone spotted spy tells in people they have played a few games with? Does anyone behave differently? Sharing it might spice things up, make it easier for the resistance, or at least force people to mix up their act.

Tips for vanilla resistance; probably stating the obvious here, but...

1. Stay calm and avoid jumping to conclusions too early in the game (if you erroneously have another good player down as a spy; that's very bad).
2. Be very observant.
3. If you suspect someone, question them! If they don't have a logical reasons to support their position, maybe they're a spy? (or they could be Merlin)
4. Remember some players have power roles (Merlin, Percy, etc).
5. Again, try to stay calm and logical.
6. Remember (almost) half the people around the table are not on your team! So it may be a good idea to discount what they say, and instead, trust in logic and your own intuition (people are trying to lead you astray).
7. If you're very confident someone is a spy; watch their reactions. If you're proposing a team, and they're not on it; are they trying to get you to put another spy on the team?
8. Watch the reactions of people when the mission result is revealed. If someone didn't look at all surprised; maybe they're spy?

This list could go on and on and on (and I'm not sure how valuable any of it is). There is a lot to process...

Sam wrote:Anybody got a copy of any version of The Resistance I could borrow next week? I want to introduce it to the family and see what they think. If they do, who knows, there might be a new group of players the week after.

Yes, if you can wait till this Tuesday, I'll be there (but will be turning up late).
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Wed 29 Apr 2015, 12:47

Staying quiet is probably helpful to the resistance. It's the spies who have the information and the number disadvantage so being argumentative is to their advantage more than the resistance. If the resistance stay quiet, the spies can either arouse suspicion by being more outspoken, or blend in with the resistance in which case their only option to sway the game in their favour is to vote as a spy would vote, therefore giving us some useful info. Also staying quiet leaves you with more time and energy to try and read people.

I think the watching people when results are revealed is something I don't do enough of. Even just picking one person for a few rounds and focusing on their reactions, their voting pattern, who they pick for teams, their justifications for choices, even if after all that you feel you have a concrete feeling about one person, it's more than I sometimes have in a whole game focusing on everyone! And if everyone is doing it, hopefully somewhere, at some point, you can build a chain of people you trust.

I think everyone that plays Merlin, myself included, is too eager to avoid looking like Merlin. Merlin can always claim to have information because of "a hidden role", which could mean they are Percy or they have just worked out who Merlin is and are listening to them. You've often got plenty of time to throw the spies off your scent and for Percy and the resistance to cover you. Take it to the extreme: if during mission 5 the resistance still didn't have a clue and Merlin just said "I'm Merlin and Spy, Spy and Spy are spies" (and convinced the group to go ahead) I'm certain the spies would still have some confusion and a chance of guessing wrong, perhaps because it was "too obvious", "he must be Percival" etc. In the end, it could mean a lost game, but for the past bunch of games the resistance can't even get the three mission successes they need in the first place!

Also, re: Lady of the Lake, regardless of whatever else is going on at the table, I think Laking the most experienced players who don't give away anything any other way is the most useful. Jamie and Aneurin are good options. Dave would be a perfect option, except you don't need to lake him because he's always a spy. OR Lake the person you have been watching, especially in the third and fourth round, because that could explain their voting and mission selection and give you even more info about other people at the table.

Suggested house rule for variety: no one but the King can talk, unless spoken to.

Thanks Jamie, appreciate it, Tuesday is great. I'll bring it back the Tuesday after?
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

http://sam-outlands.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Wed 29 Apr 2015, 13:44

Sam wrote:Staying quiet is probably helpful to the resistance. It's the spies who have the information and the number disadvantage so being argumentative is to their advantage more than the resistance. If the resistance stay quiet, the spies can either arouse suspicion by being more outspoken, or blend in with the resistance in which case their only option to sway the game in their favour is to vote as a spy would vote, therefore giving us some useful info. Also staying quiet leaves you with more time and energy to try and read people.

Yep, agreed. The only problem is if the spies are talking more, will less experienced resistance players, be taken in and listen to the spies suggestions? (presumably there are less suggestions coming from the resistance camp). Being quiet definitely gives more room to read other people though.

Sam wrote:Also, re: Lady of the Lake, regardless of whatever else is going on at the table, I think Laking the most experienced players who don't give away anything any other way is the most useful. Jamie and Aneurin are good options. Dave would be a perfect option, except you don't need to lake him because he's always a spy. OR Lake the person you have been watching, especially in the third and fourth round, because that could explain their voting and mission selection and give you even more info about other people at the table.

IMHO, if you're good, keeping the lady in the hands of good players, is very helpful, and it robs the spies of an opportunity to spread even more misinformation. If it's the third time the lady has been used, it doesn't matter if it goes to an evil player; but on first use, if you're good, I'd say card another good player. That way, if they're good too, you know you can trust what they say about the next person (and if they're good, you can trust what they say too).

Getting confirmation on someone you've been watching could be good too. Also, I guess you also need to consider, not only what it tells you yourself; but how helpful will the information gained be to the rest of the good team?

Sam wrote:Suggested house rule for variety: no one but the King can talk, unless spoken to.

Thanks Jamie, appreciate it, Tuesday is great. I'll bring it back the Tuesday after?

Maybe the King can act as a kind of director (conductor or speaker of the house of commons). Anyone is allowed to speak, but if the King tells you to, you should either keep it down, or keep it zipped! If the King want's to ask questions, they shouldn't really have to be fighting to make themselves heard above the din!

Yep, no problem, will bring it on Tuesday.
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin Wed 29 Apr 2015, 15:45

Jamie wrote:

Sam wrote:Suggested house rule for variety: no one but the King can talk, unless spoken to.

Maybe the King can act as a kind of director (conductor or speaker of the house of commons). Anyone is allowed to speak, but if the King tells you to, you should either keep it down, or keep it zipped! If the King want's to ask questions, they shouldn't really have to be fighting to make themselves heard above the din!

Yep, no problem, will bring it on Tuesday.

I kind of disagree for 2 reasons - 1 it would really slow down the game and 2 - the whole point is watching and listening to how people are interacting. If that interaction is cut short because x thinks y is a spy and isn't allowing y to defend himself... that's weighting the information to all other players.

I thought it was a really good game last night. Yes it was easily won by the bad guys but when I went on the second mission and we had two fails I thought we had blown it as it left the group with the certainty that at least 2 of those 4 players were spies. From mission 1 you could assume there was a cloud over Tom or Dave... which meant if you had picked Will, Will and Jamie you had a pretty decent chance of passing the missions. Karl would have known the team was good - and his voting could have informed Andy he was Merlin. I was convinced Karl was the bad guy - Sam played a great game.

Playing as Oberon is a real mind ache...

Laking - I would always recommend keeping the information to yourself and then outing the person when you see how they vote on a decisive mission
Aneurin
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Wed 29 Apr 2015, 16:37

Aneurin wrote:I kind of disagree for 2 reasons - 1 it would really slow down the game and 2 - the whole point is watching and listening to how people are interacting. If that interaction is cut short because x thinks y is a spy and isn't allowing y to defend himself... that's weighting the information to all other players.

I feel it's a problem, when you're King, there's a lot of noise, and the spies are intentionally creating more noise and trying to rush you in to picking a bad team...

For example, what do you do as King, if you suspect someone is a spy, and they keep interjecting their opinion and somewhat disrupting your thoughts? You could just accuse that person of being a spy, but then, that may open a can of worms that you're not ready to open just yet, and the spy will just waste more of your turn as King, by defending themselves ... and then trying to rush you in to making a decision!

I think it's all about getting the balance right. A King with too much power, could be as bad as a King with no power. Smile

Aneurin wrote:I thought it was a really good game last night. Yes it was easily won by the bad guys but when I went on the second mission and we had two fails I thought we had blown it as it left the group with the certainty that at least 2 of those 4 players were spies. From mission 1 you could assume there was a cloud over Tom or Dave... which meant if you had picked Will, Will and Jamie you had a pretty decent chance of passing the missions.  Karl would have known the team was good - and his voting could have informed Andy he was Merlin. I was convinced Karl was the bad guy - Sam played a great game.

Was Will playing by the way, I thought there were 2 Matts?

Anyhow, after mission 1 I had no idea between Dave, Karl and Tom, who was bad. All 3 of them are well capable of looking innocent while being guilty. I kinda trusted Karl, because of the way he wanted to be carded, and I was 80% sure Dave was a spy (after Matt said he was). Had I been thinking right; I should have assumed 100% Dave was a spy, and that Tom and Karl are likely good (as Dave put them on mission 1 with him) and that Matt was good to. So, me, Karl, Tom, Matt; would have been a clean team. Of course; that's said with the benefit of hindsight. Also, convincing the other 2 good players, could have been tricky.

Sam played a good one!

Aneurin wrote:Playing as Oberon is a real mind ache...

Were you Oberon? I forget. I thought you were Morgana, because Andy said you were bad, when he claimed Percy.
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin Wed 29 Apr 2015, 18:11

Yeah I was Oberon - I was actually playing to try and out the bad guys and support who I thought was good so I could get on more missions... I think I had Matt convinced next to me... Andy must have also been thrown when I was accusing Karl...

He knew there were two spies out of Karl, Sam and myself... He seemed to be swaying towards Sam as he was Percy and knew a 50/50 on Karl... I have no idea why he didn't trust me...

Yes 2 matts... Sorry
Aneurin
Aneurin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Mattel Wed 29 Apr 2015, 19:14

Aneurin wrote:Yeah I was Oberon - I was actually playing to try and out the bad guys and support who I thought was good so I could get on more missions... I think I had Matt convinced next to me... Andy must have also been thrown when I was accusing Karl...

He knew there were two spies out of Karl, Sam and myself... He seemed to be swaying towards Sam as he was Percy and knew a 50/50 on Karl... I have no idea why he didn't trust me...

Yes 2 matts... Sorry

IMHO this was the play of the game and the perfect way to play Oberon. Play as a loyal servant hunting spies. Had me fooled because of his anti-spy stance that not only sounded good but actually had substance.

Karl i should have read good for the request to be laked but his early comments about not dwelling on votes and moving on quickly meant I didn't trust him enough.

@Jamie - heh 20-20 hindsight and all that. I thought toud got it right in your last pick - Sam had played well and didn't display the change I saw last time when he was a spy. I thiught Morgana was Merlin so was happy with that pick.

Doh!

Mattel
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2