Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tuesday 9th June

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Tuesday 9th June - Page 3 Empty Re: Tuesday 9th June

Post  paulyg Tue 09 Jun 2015, 22:47

Thanks to everyone who humoured me looking for Stak Bots as I was leaving. It was, of course, still in the games cupboard at home. Oops. Good games tonight!

Last edited by PaulG on Wed 10 Jun 2015, 06:37; edited 1 time in total

paulyg
Starting player token

http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Tue 09 Jun 2015, 23:02

PaulG wrote:Hanks to everyone who humoured me looking for Stak Bots as I was leaving. It was, of course, still in the games cupboard at home. Oops. Good games tonight!
Glad you found it!
PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Wed 10 Jun 2015, 12:12

Brilliant game of Avalon last night!

I was evil (the Assassin), and I've found myself struggling to play evil convincingly the last few games. Not sure why, I just find myself feeling somewhat amused and struggle to keep a straight face, or come out with logical reasons for why I trust or distrust particular people. Anyhow...

We had 2 Lancelots in play.

Mission 1 had 3 good people on it, and passed.

Then there was a Lancelot switch.

Mission 2 had the original 3 people from mission 1, and myself. I actually played a success card; thinking if the (newly) evil Lancelot was on the team, he'd play a fail, and if I did too, we'd have 2 fails in 4 cards; not good for team evil! If evil Lancelot was not on the team, we'd get 4 successes; which at the time, I was thinking could be good for team evil; but with hindsight, maybe not. Anyhow, mission 2 resulted in 1 fail...

Mission 2 failing told me (and the other evil player) that evil Lancelot was one of the original 3 good players on missions 1 and 2. My friend (John) who was watching the game; told me later, it was a mistake for me to point of that the fail could have been played by evil Lancelot. I agree. I remember thinking at the time, I'm saying too much here. A good player wouldn't have thought or said that straight away...

Play continued, and good prevailed; winning 3 missions.

Assassin time...

From the get-go, my prime Merlin suspect was Jen. I was also thinking maybe Matt or Dave, though Dave was a bit too quiet (he seems to direct people a little more if he's Merlin). I like to suggest a few people (even if they're not my prime suspect) just to see how people respond. Anyhow, my evil team mate also thought Jen. I associated her with picking a perfect team (thought, she put the original evil, but now good, Lancelot on her team; so from Merlin's perspective, it wouldn't have been a perfect team; something I overlooked at the time). I also felt there was a slight look of panic (think 'rabbit caught in headlights') about her. It was Jen. Maybe we got lucky. Very Happy
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mattel Wed 10 Jun 2015, 13:47

I had not intended to stay too late last night as I've not been well and still am pretty tired.

That said I had a fun game of King of Tokyo which I've never played before and the sheer number of cards available 30+? compared to those that came out in the game means I see a lot of replayability in the game. One I'd certainly look to playing again - very enjoyable, simple gameplay, great fun on first play. Thanks for bringing it down.

I spent a fair amount of time just wandering around watching games being played, which is something I rather enjoy, however I mustn't have been inconspicuous enough as Kes wandered over and asked if I wanted to play a game. I was still feeling a little under the weather so while I responded positively I might not have sounded convincing. Kes named a few games and mentioned Splendor - well - given how much I've enjoyed the way this game plays I couldn't turn it down. I jumped at the chance - with a brand new - just punched-out game no less!

First up we played 2 player which was a significantly different beast to the 3-player I'd tried before with Daniel and Evan (I think it was Evan!). 2 player works well but my choices became more important as they directly affected Kes (or in my case did nothing to upset his plans) whereas his every move would affect me with no other players introducing further elements. I didn't fully comprehend this but had a great time building my little deck only to realise Kes was on 17 points while I had yet to score.

Ok so lessons learned and into a second game with one eye more on point-collection than hand building. This was a much closer affair - I learn through doing rather than pure thought - and due to Kes managing to confuse his strategy at the midpoint I sneaked a win (highest points >15 once the final rounds are complete) by a couple of points.

Dave and Andrew joined us at this point for a 4-player game and the great hand-building began. I was concerned we'd run low on cards so focussed on getting 1-2 point cards as the bulk of my deck while still getting points and then going for the larger pointed cards. This meant I was out of the general scramble for lower cards but I'd be down on overall number of gems in my deck. Predictably I ran into a lead with 10 points on the table to only a few elsewhere and then the huge hands started to tell - as the leader tiles got claimed by the others and they started to claim the highest value cards I realised we would run out of cheaper cards and I'd be agonisingly short of a competitive points total with some good potential points always out of reach. In the end Andrews behemoth hand won the day by 2/3 points from Kes and Dave (with Kes being the slightly more efficient card user and claiming second) and myself 4 points further back. A nice example of a strategy needing to change about 3 hands before it did - oops.

That's 2, 3, and 4-player Splendor played for me now and I must say I really liked all of them - I'd play it again in a heartbeat and I stand by my earliest posts about how neat the mechanics in the game are - and how much that allows the game to flow. I'd happily build my hand and lose every game I think (oh I mostly do).

A mostly tired evening became a rather fun one with some games spectating and some plays of King of NY and Splendor. Superb! At that point I said I was going home and I should have gone home and got some much needed sleep.

But no.

Of course I didn't.

Jamie had been canvassing for Avalon since he arrived (possibly earlier) and I thought "It's still early, let's have a quick game" - always a mistake. It wasn't that early and games can be fast or slow. This was not a fast game.

9 player setup with 6//3 being Merlin, Percival, Lancelot, 3 x loyal servant // Morgana, Assassin, Lancelot

Mission 1 pass (loyal, loyal, loyal lancelot), 2 fail (loyal, loyal, evil lancelot, assassin - 1 fail - evil lancelot), 3 pass , 4 pass (1 fail)

I can't recall the makeup of 3 and 4 - sorry folks.

Lancelot switched at round 2 and 4 (I think) - and in what I think was a bold play Nicole claimed she was good lancelot as soon as the switch-back card was played (she knew she wasn't going to go bad again). I don't think anyone was expecting it and with no counter claims it game town/loyal servants a very strong lead going into mission 4.

On mission 2 I'd managed to have a mission universally rejected (apart from Joe who's line was 'I'm accepting everything, we have to to get info' - which for my money is a great way to hide voting patterns - and lo he was bad lancelot - that said - when he was good lancelot he didn't change his tactic/playstyle so kudos) which I tried to get across meant that it had to be a great team - I was the player before Jen (Merlin) got to choose her team. I didn't know she was Merlin so rather than follow my team (which myself and at least one other suggested she picked another one after some discussion and hedging). I'm not sure the team I picked (had previously bad lancelot) or hers were that bad but her hesitation was more telling for the bad guys.

In the same vein both Jamie (assassin) and Andrew (morgana) were umming and ahhhing over their votes - something that stood out to me. Plus as Jamie has already said - he wasn't taking too much seriously and had his 'spy grin' on his face. I think Dave said he'd pegged Jamie as a spy as well. I thought both Jamie and Andrew were suspicious which pleased me as I'd not played with Andrew before. I was nowhere on the lancelots - so was very grateful for Nicole's timely reveal.

While the thinking of the minions in eliminating who was/wasn't Merlin wasn't exactly foolproof it doesn't matter how you get there - just who you plunge your knife into the back of - good call getting Jen.

In all the lancelots added into the mix can add a nice twist and I'd like to get used to that in at least one more game before we bring excalibur out to play - if at all.

Mattel
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Wed 10 Jun 2015, 14:08

Mattel wrote:I think Dave said he'd pegged Jamie as a spy as well.

At some point I asked Dave if he was a spy; he said no.

He then asked if I was, I did say no; but I think laughing immediately after I said no, could have been a tell-tale sign I was no good...

I'm really liking the Lancelot mechanic too.
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes Wed 10 Jun 2015, 14:12

Actually, Dave had one less card than mean, giving him second by a whisker
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

http://www.kesSmith.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Wed 10 Jun 2015, 14:18

Balderdash was a great test of creatively coming up with convincing rubbish, which I don't think I've done in any other game. It went on a little longer than I wanted it to, but a lot of it really did make me laugh.

It's useful storing a few of these party games in memory, as most of them can be recreated with pens and paper and in this case an internet connection (to Wikipedia or IMDB) and introduced to anyone. Even better that way for non-gamers or geek-phobics, in fact, because it's more casual, spontaneous etc. I'm going to try this with the family on Sunday.
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

http://sam-outlands.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3