Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

paulygcon: 13th - 15th November

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

paulygcon: 13th - 15th November - Page 4 Empty Re: paulygcon: 13th - 15th November

Post  paulyg Fri 13 Nov 2015, 11:32

PaulG wrote:Anyone who wants in on the Whatsapp PaulygCon live channel just hit me up with your Whatsapp username / phone no. Smile
Oh, I meant to write... it's for discussing what we want to play, who's arriving when, etc.

paulyg
Starting player token

http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

paulygcon: 13th - 15th November - Page 4 Empty Re: paulygcon: 13th - 15th November

Post  paulyg Fri 13 Nov 2015, 16:06

Sam wrote:
PaulG wrote:
Sam wrote:Eager to play Fury of Dracula. John, put me down if we're around at the same time.
Sounds like we already have a contender for hottest game of the con ;-)

I can't wait for the PaulyG awards show.
It might not surprise you to know that I once hosted (with my flatmates at the time) a whole fake awards show. I can't remember all the categories, but one of them was low quality TV theme remixes created by my friends. Good times!
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin Fri 13 Nov 2015, 16:07

I want an award for most untrustworthy TI3 player 2015!
Aneurin
Aneurin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Sat 14 Nov 2015, 09:51

Day 1 done! Between us we played Cavemen: The Quest For Fire, Firefly + expansions, Bruges, Black Fleet and Jaipur. A fun evening / early hours of the morning. Thank you do the day 1 crew Smile

And a massive thank you to everyone who contributed to my PaulygCon gift! Portal: The Uncooperative Cake Acquisition Game will be getting some play this weekend Smile

Onwards to day 2!
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Sun 15 Nov 2015, 10:31

Yesterday made for a terrific day 2. It was lovely to see so many people and play so many games!

For those keeping score, I believe yesterday's games were...
Portal: The Uncooperative Cake Acquisition Game
Falling Gobliins
Pandante
Web of Spies
One Night Revolution
Krosmaster
Five Tribes
Colt Express + expansion
One Night Ultimate Vampire
Flick 'Em Up + expansion

Bring on day 3!
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Aneurin Sun 15 Nov 2015, 10:54

I want to see empire vs Rebellion on the list by the end of the day Wink
Aneurin
Aneurin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Sun 15 Nov 2015, 11:47

Aneurin wrote:I want to see empire vs Rebellion on the list by the end of the day Wink
Yes! I am reading the rules for it this morning in anticipation. I guess I have to play as Empire at the moment, right? Wink Thank you again for a very kind gift.
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Sun 15 Nov 2015, 21:43

Sorry PaulyG Con 2015 ended with a squelch. After Space Movers and Cash n' Guns turned out to be such a joy my optimism was fed: how hard can this "Mousquetaires du Roy" be to work out?

paulygcon: 13th - 15th November - Page 4 3dmdr

Well, the first page I found talking about the game when I Googled it just now to find out the exact name had this to say:

Josh Edwards wrote:Now that I have covered the most important pros, the main con is the learning curve. The first time through the game, half of the time was spent trying to look up rules to see if we were doing things correctly. In fact, I would recommend that everyone playing read through the instructions before the first game. A single person teaching others how to play this game will most likely fail, but I do believe that a group of players introducing a single new player would be able to teach them sufficiently. I'm not really sure what it is about the game that made it so difficult to figure out at first, as the group we were playing with all consisted of seasoned gamers, but it was a definite issue that we experienced.  (For full disclosure, I was the one who had read the rules and was teaching the group.  Josh fail.)

http://www.boardgamereviewsbyjosh.com/2011/01/mousquetaires-du-roy-review.html

Oh well. I thought it would be better to cut our losses after half an hour then struggle through a half-understood game late in the evening.

Space Movers was probably my Game of the Con. My expectations were low: the last Kickstarted game I played that came with a comic-book was Sentinel Tactics, which I freaking hated, and from what else I knew Space Movers was just a simple co-op space trading game with a dexterity gimmick. That dexterity gimmick, though, was delicious: you each have a dice which you roll in an attempt to pass a challenge, and after players groan at and ridicule the terrible dice rolls of their allies they are allowed to fling their own dice at already rolled dice to try and change the result.

paulygcon: 13th - 15th November - Page 4 51tp5lJpbOL

This weird co-operative dice throwing thing works so well. For one, even though you might work out the strategies as a hivemind and you only have partial agency in your own turns, it is you alone that has to make the dice throws that could help or hinder the dice rolls of all other players. There is somehow a greater sense of team spirit in this silly dice throwing game than in whole other games that call themselves "co-operative". On top of which there is the element inherent to all dexterity games which is that physics will often enough make a complete fool of you for the hilarity of the whole table, such as accidentally hitting a dice with a good result and turning it into an injury for one of your teamates, or, say, just missing the box entirely (an instant fail to whatever the roll was for).
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

http://sam-outlands.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Sun 15 Nov 2015, 21:54

For me game of the con was probably Portal: The Uncooperative Cake Acquisition game - I was initially very dismissive of the game but some of the early reviews and reports piqued my interest. Ultimately I really enjoyed playing it although I'm, sure we were only scratching the surface of the available strategic options Smile
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Sun 15 Nov 2015, 22:19

Sam wrote:Sorry PaulyG Con 2015 ended with a squelch. After Space Movers and Cash n' Guns turned out to be such a joy my optimism was fed: how hard can this "Mousquetaires du Roy" be to work out?
Ha! Don't worry about it, Sam. Given that we were largely playing new games, I'm surprised that this didn't happen more. I have to say I was a bit surprised when we opened the box by just how many bits and pages of rules there were. I'll read it all through some time and bring it to a club night.

I have to say that watching you trying to comprehend complicated rules with the Dogtanian theme in Spanish playing in the background was one of the highlights of the con for me Smile
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Sun 15 Nov 2015, 22:28

With paulygcon at a close, I just wanted to say a really big thank you to everybody who came and played games and brought snacks and ate snacks and indulged this ridiculous idea. Special thanks, of course, must go to Kes for designing the logo and Kat for putting up with me and organising cup cakes and generally keeping people topped up with drinks and snacks (watching her stealthily put big plates of cakes next to people was most amusing). And to Jamie for organising a lovely surprise present for me.

Yesterday, whilst we were playing games, Kat sent me a calendar invite on my phone: Pauly2Con, Friday 11th - Sunday 13th November 2016. Put those dates in your diaries, folks, as apparently I have permission to do this all over again next year. I've already got ideas to make it even better...

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have approximately 8,000 falafels and cupcakes to eat.
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Sun 15 Nov 2015, 23:30

paulygcon: 13th - 15th November - Page 4 B26gs9YCAAApb9y

I'm looking forward to it!
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b Mon 16 Nov 2015, 08:40

Still gutted that I couldn't make it in the end. Sounds like a top weekend.
karl_b
karl_b
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BeardyTom Mon 16 Nov 2015, 09:41

Sorry I missed it this time but we had arranged a get together of our own on the Saturday. We had thought we might come over on Sunday but Polly's hangover said otherwise, so we stayed in.

As it happened, we also had a go at Mousquetaires du Roy for the first time on Sunday. The rules are appallingly opaque, as well as having some inconsistent terminology (do treachery cards = perfidy cards?) and there were a couple of hours of looking things up on BGG, flicking back and forth through the rule books and cursing whoever wrote the damn things before Polly said she was bored of waiting for me and we'd better bloody well get started with it.

It turned out to be quite a fun game after all that and the gameplay was smooth and quite intuitive once you know what you're doing, although there are a few fiddly elements. It fits the theme very well, with musketeers having to dash off to deal with crises all over the place and everything seeming like a last-minute do-or-die situation. If you want to have a go at it another time, Sam, I'd be happy to take you through it.
BeardyTom
BeardyTom
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Mon 16 Nov 2015, 11:13

BeardyTom wrote:Sorry I missed it this time but we had arranged a get together of our own on the Saturday. We had thought we might come over on Sunday but Polly's hangover said otherwise, so we stayed in.

As it happened, we also had a go at Mousquetaires du Roy for the first time on Sunday. The rules are appallingly opaque, as well as having some inconsistent terminology (do treachery cards = perfidy cards?) and there were a couple of hours of looking things up on BGG, flicking back and forth through the rule books and cursing whoever wrote the damn things before Polly said she was bored of waiting for me and we'd better bloody well get started with it.

It turned out to be quite a fun game after all that and the gameplay was smooth and quite intuitive once you know what you're doing, although there are a few fiddly elements. It fits the theme very well, with musketeers having to dash off to deal with crises all over the place and everything seeming like a last-minute do-or-die situation. If you want to have a go at it another time, Sam, I'd be happy to take you through it.

I'd certainly be interested in giving it a try - my as yet unplayed copy is in dire risk of being thrown to the UKGE bring and buy wolves!
PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Mon 16 Nov 2015, 11:16

PaulC wrote:
BeardyTom wrote:Sorry I missed it this time but we had arranged a get together of our own on the Saturday. We had thought we might come over on Sunday but Polly's hangover said otherwise, so we stayed in.

I'd certainly be interested in giving it a try - my as yet unplayed copy is in dire risk of being thrown to the UKGE bring and buy wolves!
Me too!
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  BeardyTom Mon 16 Nov 2015, 15:18

Right then, I guess we should arrange a game of it sometime soon.
BeardyTom
BeardyTom
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  theatrekat Mon 16 Nov 2015, 17:58

BeardyTom wrote:Right then, I guess we should arrange a game of it sometime soon.

Me also please
theatrekat
theatrekat
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Mon 16 Nov 2015, 21:19

There's still room for me, right? Laughing Cheers Tom, will take you up on that. It definitely looked like there was a cool game in there somewhere.
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4